Week 17 – He’s a Kicker!
Today, I felt the baby move for the very first time! Well, it wasn’t a kickboxer type kick; more like the baby had just burped inside of my belly. Still, from every week 17 pregnancy guide that I have read, this is exactly what a “kick” should feel like. Sort of like a delicate nudge. Soon, when the baby grows, the kicks will be easier to recognize – in the sense that you won’t be able to miss them.
The decision-making regarding the future is getting more serious, and I can’t wait to find out whether my baby is a boy or a girl. I’ve scheduled an ultrasound for next week, and I’ll find out there for sure. Plus, we are currently having a lot of fun in planning our “babymoon.”
The 17th Week Baby
At this stage of my pregnancy, my baby is just as big as a pomegranate or a red onion. His ears have formed, and he can now hear sounds – although he most likely can’t hear much from inside my belly.
His arms and legs are now fully grown! I know that for a fact, because I can feel him kicking, saying “hello, mommy!” However, he is not big enough to make it painful. It’s just a slight movement there.
His skeleton is no longer made of soft cartilage. It is transforming into bone, and the umbilical cord is also thicker. His sweat glands are also forming, so now he has his ways of releasing the toxins out of his body.
The week 17 belly size is quite noticeable, and the baby is also big enough to make my organs shift inside my body. The placental sack in my uterus is pressing against my intestines, making it rather difficult for me to do my business in the bathroom. I do try to eat a lot of fiber-rich food, but it’s not always that effective.
Mommy’s Symptoms at 17 Weeks Pregnant
At 17 weeks pregnant, I have a whole load of symptoms – at least more of them compared to the past few weeks since I entered the second trimester. Thanks to my rapidly growing baby, here are the symptoms that plague me day and night.
- Increasing Bodily Fluids: I’ve had vaginal discharge before, as well as sweat, mucus, and any other type of fluid on my body – but never like this. I don’t want to be gross, but I’m clearing toxins for two now, so it’s obvious that everything that comes out of me now has two sources.
- Itchy Belly and Boobs: No, it’s not because I did not wash. Let me explain: as the baby is growing, the skin is also stretching to fit him. Precisely for this reason, the skin around the belly is more sensitive – and prone to itch. My advice is that you resist the urge to scratch and find a soothing cream that will hydrate your skin, calming down the itch.
- Weird Dreams: I thought I was going crazy until I started reading various week 17 pregnancy guides – which told me that these dreams weren’t an uncommon occurrence. I had various weird dreams, such as giving birth to a monkey, marrying my best lady friend – or even suddenly growing male reproductive organs that would prevent me from giving birth. These dreams apparently have two causes: one of them is of hormonal nature (obviously), and the other is stress and anticipation. I have the feeling that these are going to last for a while.
- Weight Gain: This symptom is just normal. As the baby is growing, I am also growing along with him. I’ve been putting on a pound or so every week – but I keep it under control by not overindulging and practicing moderate exercising. My OB recommends that if I start gaining more than two pounds per week during the second trimester, I should consult with her.
- Stretch Marks: Sadly, this part is going to stick even after I give birth. Obviously, as my week 17 belly size grows, my skin is stretching in a very rapid manner as well – and it obviously can’t keep up with the skin’s normal rhythm. So obviously, now I have some marvelous stretch marks around my belly. I try to stay hydrated, since drinking a lot of water can help my skin preserve its elasticity.
- Swelling: Like I said, I’m drinking a lot of water nowadays and most of that water is retained by my body in order to give my baby his necessary fluids. Ironically, this can be prevented by drinking lots of fluids but also by keeping my legs up. I generally prop them on a pillow when I am sitting on the bed.
- Skin Spots: Some parts of my body have a darker shade than normal, particularly on my nipples. I had a few freckles and those have also deepened in color right now. From what I hear, though, these are caused by the pregnancy hormones and should disappear once I give birth. The same applies to linea nigra, the dark line on my abdomen that goes from my belly button to my private area.
- Bleeding Gums: My blood volume is obviously going on a rave at this point – and obviously, my body can’t process. For that reason, from time to time, my gums will start bleeding. If it feels like they bleed too much, though, you might want to consult with a doctor.
None of this week 17 pregnancy symptoms are really bad – just slightly inconveniencing. Aside from the itchy boobs, I am not bothered in the slightest by the symptoms. Maybe just the swelling, since I can’t put on my shoes.
About my feelings:
Do you remember, I’ve written about glances? Due to the weight gain, they’ve stopped, but all the other moms, who had their baby already born have started to look at me with understanding. And I felt REALLY uncomfortable because of the stretches 🙁 So, the first thing I’ve asked Toby to buy, was the anti-stretch cream:
After the delivery, I’ve found, that there is one already in my house from previous weeks:
The second one works better for me, but the reviews said, that ELAIMEI one is a bit softer.
To moisturize, I have ordered DermaSafe cream. I think it is one of the best options. Totally worth the value.
And the last: an oil. Due to my skin, I do need oil and I have used it through all my life since I was 19. I could say, that I am used to it!
So, here it is:
This week wasn’t so bad. I could get my tasks done without feeling fatigued in the slightest, and my baby is growing bigger and bigger as we speak – or, well, as we write. In three weeks or so I am told he will double his size, so I’m fairly certain I’ll feel stronger kicks by then.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
23759Don’t Overcook Your Meat!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
3525Baby shower themes and ideas
2425Bird baby shower ideas
1335Baby shower idea for a boy
2429Great baby shower gift ideas
542Ideas for a baby shower for a boy
3321Candy buffet baby shower ideas
874Baby shower poster ideas
2923Bumble bee baby shower theme ideas
4141Theme ideas for baby shower
1168Brunch menu ideas for baby shower
580Zebra print baby shower ideas
3209Diva baby shower ideas
2685Homemade baby shower gift basket ideas
744Great baby shower ideas
182Monkey baby shower ideas
4173Cake ideas for baby boy shower
3485Low budget baby shower ideas
3537Good ideas for baby shower gifts