Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
What is premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?
Premenstrual syndrome or PMS is a group of physical and emotional symptoms many women may have in the days before their period starts. Symptoms usually stop once the period starts. It’s thought to be related to the changing hormone levels of the menstrual cycle.
Lifestyle changes and sometimes medicine are used to treat PMS.
What causes PMS?
The cause of PMS is unclear. It seems to be related to hormone fluctuations in the body. Changes in brain chemicals may also play a role.
What are the symptoms of PMS?
Symptoms may be slightly different for each woman. The following are the most common symptoms of PMS.
- Irritability and mood swings
- Trouble sleeping
- Bloating and fluid buildup
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Backache or headache
- Tender breasts
- Forgetfulness and trouble concentrating
- Food cravings
The symptoms of PMS may look like other conditions or medical problems. Talk with a healthcare provider for diagnosis.
How is PMS diagnosed?
Aside from a complete medical history and physical and pelvic exam, there are very few additional tests. Your healthcare provider may ask that you keep a journal of your symptoms for several months to better assess the timing, severity, onset, and duration of symptoms.
How is PMS treated?
Your healthcare provider will consider your age, overall health, symptoms and other factors when finding the best treatment for you.
Lifestyle changes and sometimes medicines can help manage PMS symptoms.
- Water pills (diuretics) before symptoms start to reduce fluid buildup
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines, or NSAIDs, such as aspirin and ibuprofen, to reduce pain
- Birth control pills
- Medicines used to temporarily stop ovaries from making estrogen and progesterone
- Changing the diet to increase protein and decrease sugar and caffeine intake
- Vitamin supplements such as vitamin B-6, calcium, and magnesium
- Regular exercise
Can PMS be prevented?
For some women, making lifestyle changes helps to reduce the occurrence of PMS symptoms. These changes may include:
- Get regular exercise 3 to 5 times each week
- Eat a well-balanced diet. You should eat more whole grains, vegetables, and fruits, while eat less salt, sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Get enough sleep and rest
- Don’t smoke
When to call your healthcare provider
Call your healthcare provider if you have symptoms of PMS that interfere with your ability to carry out your normal daily activities.
Key points about premenstrual syndrome
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a group of physical and emotional symptoms many women may have in the days before their period starts.
- It is thought to be related to the hormone changes of a woman’s menstrual cycle.
- Lifestyle changes and sometimes medicines are used to treat PMS.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed, and how it will help you. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if you do not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
124Baby shower ideas for boys on a budget
23807Physical Development Milestones for Toddlers (1-2 years)
4033Unique baby shower gift ideas for a boy
3387Fun ideas for baby shower
14Baby shower gift ideas
3577New ideas for baby showers
2379Baby shower game prize ideas winners
256Purple baby shower ideas
1691Jungle theme baby shower centerpiece ideas
2409Baby shower foods ideas finger foods
2695Ideas for food for a baby shower
4029Baby shower hamper ideas
1771Baby shower announcement ideas
2473Baby shower table centerpieces ideas
486Whale baby shower ideas
936Ideas de comida para baby shower
1291Pink baby shower food ideas
950Nautical baby shower centerpiece ideas