Pityriasis Rosea in Children
What is pityriasis rosea in children?
Pityriasis rosea (pit-uh-RI-uh-sis RO-zee-uh) is a mild, common rash. It causes the skin to become scaly, pink, and inflamed. The rash can last from 1 to 3 months and usually leaves no lasting marks. This rash is not contagious.
What causes pityriasis rosea in a child?
Experts don’t know what causes pityriasis rosea. It is believed to be caused by a virus or bacteria. It is usually seen in children, adolescents, and young adults. Some children may have a cold before the rash. The rash is more common in spring and fall.
What are the symptoms of pityriasis rosea in a child?
The rash usually starts with a large pink or tan oval area on the chest, stomach, or back. This patch (herald patch) is usually followed by smaller pink or tan patches elsewhere on the body. They usually show up on the back, neck, arms, and legs. The scaly rash usually begins to heal on its own in 4 to 6 weeks and will go away by 14 weeks.
Below are other common symptoms of pityriasis rosea. But each child may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:
The symptoms of pityriasis rosea may look like other skin conditions or health problems. Always talk with your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is pityriasis rosea diagnosed in a child?
The rash is unique. Pityriasis rosea is usually diagnosed based on a health history and physical exam of your child. In addition, your child’s healthcare provider may order blood tests to rule out other conditions that might look like pityriasis rosea.
How is pityriasis rosea treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The goal of treatment for pityriasis rosea is to relieve symptoms such as itching. The rash will resolve on its own. Treatment will be decided by your child’s healthcare provider based on how bad the rash is. Treatment may include:
- Medicated lotions and creams
- Medicines taken by mouth
- Cool baths with or without oatmeal
- Ultraviolet exposure
- Cool compresses
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Pityriasis rosea is a mild skin rash that will get better on its own. You should call your child’s healthcare provider if:
- Your child becomes very sick.
- The rash does not get better or gets worse.
- Itching or other symptoms cause your child a lot of discomfort.
- Your child gets a secondary bacterial infection from scratching the rash.
Key points about pityriasis rosea in children
- Pityriasis rosea is a mild, common rash. It causes the skin to become scaly, pink, and inflamed.
- The rash is usually seen in children, adolescents, and young adults.
- The rash will get better on its own in 1 to 3 months.
- Pityriasis rosea is not contagious.
- The goal of treatment is relieving discomfort and itching.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
1681Blue and brown baby shower ideas
402Baby boy shower gift ideas
23800The Benefits Of Disciplining Your Children In A Positive Manner
3919Baby shower unique gift ideas
3769Baby shower ideas perth
1415Baby shower ideas for twin girls
2669Small baby shower food ideas
3013Large baby shower ideas
1377Baby shower ideas for dads
1831Baby shower food and drink ideas
712Turtle baby shower ideas
978Autumn baby shower ideas
1267Cutest baby shower ideas
3335Cool baby shower favor ideas
3169Rubber ducky baby shower ideas for a girl
356Brunch ideas for baby shower
4093High tea food ideas baby shower
23710The Carnivore’s Dilemma – A Diet of Just Meats and Fats?