Pityriasis Rosea in Children
What is pityriasis rosea in children?
Pityriasis rosea (pit-uh-RI-uh-sis RO-zee-uh) is a mild, common rash. It causes the skin to become scaly, pink, and inflamed. The rash can last from 1 to 3 months and usually leaves no lasting marks. This rash is not contagious.
What causes pityriasis rosea in a child?
Experts don’t know what causes pityriasis rosea. It is believed to be caused by a virus or bacteria. It is usually seen in children, adolescents, and young adults. Some children may have a cold before the rash. The rash is more common in spring and fall.
What are the symptoms of pityriasis rosea in a child?
The rash usually starts with a large pink or tan oval area on the chest, stomach, or back. This patch (herald patch) is usually followed by smaller pink or tan patches elsewhere on the body. They usually show up on the back, neck, arms, and legs. The scaly rash usually begins to heal on its own in 4 to 6 weeks and will go away by 14 weeks.
Below are other common symptoms of pityriasis rosea. But each child may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:
The symptoms of pityriasis rosea may look like other skin conditions or health problems. Always talk with your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is pityriasis rosea diagnosed in a child?
The rash is unique. Pityriasis rosea is usually diagnosed based on a health history and physical exam of your child. In addition, your child’s healthcare provider may order blood tests to rule out other conditions that might look like pityriasis rosea.
How is pityriasis rosea treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The goal of treatment for pityriasis rosea is to relieve symptoms such as itching. The rash will resolve on its own. Treatment will be decided by your child’s healthcare provider based on how bad the rash is. Treatment may include:
- Medicated lotions and creams
- Medicines taken by mouth
- Cool baths with or without oatmeal
- Ultraviolet exposure
- Cool compresses
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Pityriasis rosea is a mild skin rash that will get better on its own. You should call your child’s healthcare provider if:
- Your child becomes very sick.
- The rash does not get better or gets worse.
- Itching or other symptoms cause your child a lot of discomfort.
- Your child gets a secondary bacterial infection from scratching the rash.
Key points about pityriasis rosea in children
- Pityriasis rosea is a mild, common rash. It causes the skin to become scaly, pink, and inflamed.
- The rash is usually seen in children, adolescents, and young adults.
- The rash will get better on its own in 1 to 3 months.
- Pityriasis rosea is not contagious.
- The goal of treatment is relieving discomfort and itching.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
640Nautical themed baby shower ideas
4329Baby shower ideas for girls games
3169Rubber ducky baby shower ideas for a girl
154Baby shower venue ideas
368Unique baby shower gift ideas
310Baby shower snack ideas
1871Girl baby shower idea
1265Snack ideas for baby shower
230Pink and gold baby shower ideas
2059Unique baby shower cake ideas
3453Baby shower decorations for a boy ideas
3431Diy baby shower party favor ideas
222Baby shower centerpieces ideas for boys
1465Baby shower cake idea
2605Baby shower gift ideas diy
1629Funny baby shower game ideas
4239Girl baby shower ideas on pinterest
594Boy baby shower decoration ideas