Phimosis and Paraphimosis in Children
What is phimosis and paraphimosis in children?
Phimosis and paraphimosis are problems with the foreskin of the penis. Phimosis is when a foreskin can’t be pulled down (retracted) from the tip of the penis. This is a common problem in young boys. Paraphimosis is when the foreskin is retracted but can’t move back up. This can prevent normal blood flow in the penis, and may cause serious problems.
How to say it
What causes phimosis and paraphimosis in a child?
Phimosis is caused by a tightening of the opening of the foreskin. This condition is normal in a newborn baby. Over time the foreskin loosens and can be pulled down more easily. By age 17, most boys will be able to fully retract their foreskin. Phimosis can also occur if the foreskin is forced back before it is ready. This can cause a fibrous scar to form. This can keep the foreskin from retracting in the future.
Paraphimosis is caused when the foreskin is retracted behind the crown (corona) of the penis and is too tight to be moved back to the tip of the penis.
What are the symptoms of phimosis and paraphimosis in a child?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child.
The most common symptoms of phimosis include:
- Bulging of the foreskin during urination
- Not able to fully retract the foreskin by age 3. In some boys this may take longer.
The most common symptoms of paraphimosis include:
- Swelling of the tip of the penis when the foreskin is pulled back
- Not able to pull the foreskin back over the tip of the penis
- Tip of the penis that is dark red or blue in color
The symptoms of phimosis and paraphimosis can be like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How are phimosis and paraphimosis diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and health history. He or she will give your child a physical exam. The physical exam will include examining the penis and foreskin.
How are phimosis and paraphimosis treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Treatment for repeated phimosis may include:
- Putting a steroid cream on the foreskin up to 3 times a day for 1 month to loosen the skin
- Having surgery to remove all or part of the foreskin (circumcision) for a child age 10 or older who still has bulging of the foreskin during urination
Treatment for paraphimosis may include:
- Lubricating the foreskin and tip of the penis, then gently squeezing the tip of the penis while pulling the foreskin forward
- Making a small cut (incision) in the foreskin
- Having surgery to remove all or part of the foreskin (circumcision)
Talk with your child’s healthcare providers about the risks, benefits, and possible side effects of all treatments.
What are possible complications of phimosis and paraphimosis in a child?
Possible complications can include:
- Trouble urinating
- Death of tissue (necrosis) in the tip of the penis
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call the healthcare provider if your child has:
- Symptoms that don’t get better, or get worse
- New symptoms
Key points about phimosis and paraphimosis in children
- Phimosis and paraphimosis are problems with the foreskin of the penis.
- Phimosis is when a foreskin can’t be pulled down (retracted) from the tip of the penis. This is a common problem in young boys.
- Paraphimosis is when the foreskin is retracted but can’t move back up. This can prevent normal blood flow in the penis, and may cause serious problems.
- Treatment for either problem may include steroid cream, lubrication, or surgery to remove the foreskin.
- Possible complications can include trouble urinating and death of tissue (necrosis) in the tip of the penis.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
582Cute girl baby shower ideas
3911Unique ideas for a baby shower
1659Ideas for baby shower game prizes
2927Games ideas for baby shower
3713Ideas for gifts for baby shower
1649Onesie baby shower ideas
2507Twin girls baby shower ideas
2769Baby shower agenda ideas
2783Halloween baby shower cake ideas
3335Cool baby shower favor ideas
1569Baby shower invitation ideas for girls
2331Baby showers ideas for boys
1138Baby shower sprinkle ideas
2097Balloon decoration ideas for baby shower
1409Baby shower cake ideas girls
1086Baby shower game idea
1140Twin boy and girl baby shower ideas
1034Baby shower host gift ideas