Nursemaid’s Elbow in Children
What is nursemaid’s elbow in children?
Nursemaid’s elbow is a type of elbow injury. It’s when a forearm bone (radius) slips out of place from where it normally attaches to the elbow joint.
It is a common condition in children younger than 4 years of age. It is also called pulled elbow, slipped elbow, and toddler elbow.
What causes nursemaid’s elbow in a child?
A sudden pulling on the hand or forearm causes nursemaid’s elbow. The radius slips out of the ligament holding it into the elbow. It can happen when an infant rolls over, from a fall, or from pulling or swinging a young child by the hand.
What are the symptoms of nursemaid’s elbow in a child?
Each child may feel symptoms a bit differently. But below are the most common symptoms of nursemaid’s elbow:
- Immediate pain in the injured arm
- The child won’t or can’t move the injured arm
These symptoms may seem like other health problems. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is nursemaid’s elbow diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider makes the diagnosis with a physical exam. He or she may also order an X-ray to check for other injuries, such as a broken bone.
How is nursemaid’s elbow treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Prompt medical treatment is important to quickly ease your child’s symptoms. Treatment may include:
- Reduction. Your child’s healthcare provider can gently move the arm so the radius bone goes back into place.
- Medicine. Certain medicines such as acetaminophen can ease pain.
How can I help prevent nursemaid’s elbow in my child?
Once the elbow has sustained this type of injury, it is more likely to happen again. If it does, call your child’s healthcare provider or return to the emergency department for further evaluation and treatment. Most children outgrow the tendency for nursemaid’s elbow by the age of 5.
To help prevent nursemaid’s elbow:
- Don’t pull or swing your child by the arms or hands.
- Don’t lift your child up by his or her arms or hands.
Key points about nursemaid’s elbow in children
- Nursemaid’s elbow is a type of elbow injury. It’s when a forearm bone (radius) slips out of place from where it normally attaches to the elbow joint.
- This injury is common in children younger than age 4.
- Activities that suddenly pull the hand or forearm can cause it. These include falls and swinging a young child by the hand.
- Immediate pain is the most common symptom.
- Your child’s healthcare provider can gently move the radius bone back into place.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2941Ideas for baby showers for boys
3685Baby shower favours ideas
1168Brunch menu ideas for baby shower
2203Baby shower for girl decoration ideas
174Baby shower centerpieces ideas
3813Baby shower sports theme ideas
3003Babys shower ideas
3513Baby shower presents ideas
830Tiffany baby shower ideas
3049Handmade baby shower ideas
1567Fall baby shower ideas themes
2949Gift basket ideas for baby shower prize
3775Cool ideas for baby showers
4149Lion king baby shower favor ideas
38Baby shower decorating ideas
2389434 Best Toys and Gift Ideas for 3 year old boy in 2018
288Boy baby shower food ideas
1201Baby shower on a budget ideas