What are natal teeth?
Natal teeth are teeth that are present when a baby is born. The teeth are often not fully developed and may have a weak root.
Natal teeth are not common. They are not the same as neonatal teeth that erupt in the child’s mouth during the first month of life.
What causes natal teeth?
The cause of natal teeth is unknown. But they may be more likely to occur in children with certain health problems that affect growth. This includes Sotos syndrome.
What are the symptoms of natal teeth?
Natal teeth may sometimes look like normal teeth. But they are often:
- Brown or yellow
How are natal teeth diagnosed?
Your child’s healthcare provider or dentist can often diagnose natal teeth with a physical exam of your child’s mouth. He or she may also order X-rays. An X-ray makes images of internal tissues, bones, teeth, and organs. An X-ray may show a tooth root that is not fully formed.
How are natal teeth treated?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Your child’s dentist or healthcare provider may decide no treatment is needed. In other cases, natal teeth may be loose because the root is not fully developed. The teeth may then be removed. This done to lower the risk of your child inhaling the tooth into his or her airways. Or the teeth may be removed if they are damaging your baby’s tongue. Another choice may be to smooth the top edges of the teeth. This prevents damage to your child’s tongue.
What are possible complications of natal teeth?
Complications that may happen as a result of natal teeth are:
- Problems with breastfeeding. This is because your baby may accidentally bite you while breastfeeding.
- Injury to your child’s tongue
- Possible risk of your child inhaling the tooth into his or her airway and lungs if the tooth breaks free
Key points about natal teeth
- Natal teeth are teeth that are present when a baby is born.
- These teeth are often not fully developed and may have a weak root.
- They may be small, loose, and discolored.
- The cause of natal teeth is unknown.
- Your child’s healthcare provider or dentist may recommend having them removed if they may cause a problem.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
1877Baby shower duck theme ideas
1577Baby shower fruit basket ideas
1048Sock monkey baby shower ideas
23687Paleo from Pregnancy
50Baby boy baby shower ideas
674Baby boy shower favor ideas
1541Lion king baby shower cake ideas
814Hot air balloon baby shower ideas
1921Baby shower ideas for girls on a budget
210Prince themed baby shower ideas
23704The Primal Don’t-Wanna-Be-a Parent Guide to Natural Contraception
2695Ideas for food for a baby shower
1301Western theme baby shower ideas
1100Martha stewart baby shower ideas
194Rubber ducky baby shower ideas
2895Ideas for hostess gifts for baby shower
1098Unique baby shower favors ideas
574Boy baby shower favor ideas