Mushroom Poisoning in Children
What is mushroom poisoning in children?
Mushroom poisoning happens when a child eats a mushroom that has poisons (toxins).
What causes mushroom poisoning in a child?
A child may pick and eat a mushroom while playing outdoors. Many types of mushrooms grow in the wild. Very few are poisonous. But those that are poisonous can be quite dangerous. Unless you are an expert, it’s hard to tell a poisonous mushroom from one that is not.
What are the symptoms of mushroom poisoning in a child?
Early symptoms can include feeling sick, stomach cramps, vomiting, and watery or bloody diarrhea. If your child has any of these symptoms, call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest emergency department right away. All poisonous mushrooms cause vomiting and belly (stomach) pain.
How is mushroom poisoning diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider may talk with a mushroom expert to help figure out what type of mushroom your child ate. It’s important to collect the mushroom that your child was eating to help your provider figure out what type of mushroom it is.
How is mushroom poisoning treated in a child?
The healthcare provider will check your child’s vital signs and watch them closely for a period of time. He or she will look for severe symptoms and signs of complications of mushroom poisoning. There is no specific antidote for mushroom poisoning. Treatment focuses on easing symptoms.
What can I do to prevent mushroom poisoning in my child?
It is important to teach your child never to eat any mushrooms or plants while playing outdoors.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
If you think your child ate a wild mushroom, call the poison control number (800-222-1222) right away. Or call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest emergency department.
If you can, collect the mushroom your child was eating. Carefully dig up a few mushrooms, including the roots, to help with the identification. If there is more than one kind of mushroom, collect all of them. If you go to the emergency department take the mushrooms you have collected.
Key points about mushroom poisoning in children
- Mushroom poisoning happens when a child eats a mushroom that has poisons (toxins).
- Unless you are an expert, it’s hard to tell a poisonous mushroom from one that is not.
- Early symptoms of mushroom poisoning can include feeling sick, stomach cramps, vomiting, and watery or bloody diarrhea.
- If you can, collect the mushroom your child was eating. This can help the provider figure out what type of mushroom it is.
- There is no specific antidote for mushroom poisoning. Treatment focuses on easing symptoms.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
428Girl baby shower gift ideas
4119Baby shower decorating ideas for girls
1953Girl monkey baby shower ideas
2487Baby shower favor idea
2203Baby shower for girl decoration ideas
3631Ideas for a small baby shower
3431Diy baby shower party favor ideas
1977Classic winnie the pooh baby shower ideas
3881Baby shower cake ideas for boy and girl
1070Baby shower baskets ideas
768Girl themed baby shower ideas
2685Homemade baby shower gift basket ideas
3033Baby shower food ideas for twins
572Baby shower goodie bag ideas
270Baby shower invitation wording ideas
2559Baby girl shower cakes ideas
320Girl baby shower decorating ideas
1637Baby shower door prize gift ideas