What are monoclonal gammopathies?
Monoclonal gammopathies are conditions in which abnormal proteins are found in the blood. These proteins grow from a small number of plasma cells in the bone marrow. Plasma cells are a type of white blood cell. Their main job is to fight off infection.
The most common condition linked with these abnormal proteins is monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS). It is not cancer. But people with MGUS have a greater risk of getting serious diseases of the bone marrow and blood.
What causes monoclonal gammopathies?
The exact cause of MGUS is not known. Infection, immune system problems, and the environment may play a role. But experts have not found a clear link yet. Experts do know that the abnormal proteins are not caused by a certain diet or from eating dietary proteins.
What are the risk factors for monoclonal gammopathies?
The chance of getting MGUS grows with age, but it is not common. There is no risk of monoclonal gammopathies in first-degree family members. This means screening of siblings and children is not needed.
What are the symptoms of monoclonal gammopathies?
MGUS causes no symptoms. In fact, monoclonal protein in the blood is often found by accident when doing other routine blood work.
Most people who have abnormal proteins in their blood will never get worse. But in some cases, these illnesses can develop:
- Multiple myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Plasma cell leukemia
- Primary amyloidosis
- Solitary plasmacytoma
- Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia
Symptoms of monoclonal gammopathies vary among these conditions, but can include:
How are monoclonal gammopathies diagnosed?
Once abnormal proteins are found in the blood, more testing is needed. A blood screening and sometimes a urine screening is recommended. This is often done with a lab test called electrophoresis. This test separates proteins based on their size and other factors. Depending on the results of those tests, more testing may be done.
How are monoclonal gammopathies treated?
Because MGUS is not harmful, it doesn’t need to be treated. A diagnosis of MGUS without any other symptoms usually does not call for more testing. But because MGUS may lead to a more serious condition, you’ll need checkups throughout your life. This usually includes regular physical exams and blood work. This will help find problems as early as possible.
- Monoclonal gammopathies are conditions in which abnormal proteins are found in the blood.
- The most common condition linked with these abnormal proteins is MGUS.
- MGUS causes no symptoms. Diagnosis is often done with a lab test called electrophoresis.
- Because MGUS is not harmful, it doesn’t need to be treated.
- MGUS may lead to a more serious condition so checkups are needed throughout your life to find problems as early as possible.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed, and how it will help you. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if you do not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
230Pink and gold baby shower ideas
1315Little girl baby shower ideas
622Decoration ideas for baby shower
1569Baby shower invitation ideas for girls
1373Baby shower invitation ideas for boy
202Baby shower cakes ideas
23775Food Ratios and How to Keep Weight Down While Pregnant
3059Easy baby shower decoration ideas
4089Craft ideas baby shower
3045Welcome to the world baby shower ideas
3971Baby shower gift ideas uk
14Baby shower gift ideas
2205Girl baby shower finger food ideas
2391613 Best electric motorcycle for kids in 2018
680Winter wonderland baby shower ideas
1030Elephant baby shower favors ideas
872Ideas para decorar baby shower
2335Baby shower ideas for gender reveal