Micropenis in Children
What is micropenis in children?
A micropenis is a penis that is smaller than normal. The normal length of a newborn boy’s penis is 2.8 to 4.2 centimeters (1.1 to 1.6 inches). The measurement around a newborn boy’s penis (the circumference) is normally 0.9 to 1.3 cm (0.35 to 0.5 inches). The penis is measured by carefully stretching it. The penis is measured from the tip to the base. A penis length of less than 1.9 cm (0.75 inches) is considered micropenis.
What causes micropenis in a child?
Micropenis can happen on its own. But it usually happens along with other disorders. Micropenis can happen if a child has a hormone disorder that causes an abnormal level of the hormones involved in the growth of the sexual organs. This can include problems with the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus.
What are the symptoms of micropenis in a child?
The most common sign of a micropenis is penis size in a baby that is less than 1.9 cm when stretched gently.
The symptoms of micropenis can seem like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is micropenis diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and health history. He or she may also ask about your family’s health history. He or she will give your child a physical exam. The physical exam may include carefully measuring your child’s penis. Your child may also have blood tests or other testing to check for a hormone disorder.
How is micropenis treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Your child may be referred to specialists. These may include:
- Pediatric urologist. This is a healthcare provider who focuses on problems with the urinary tract and the male genitals in children.
- Pediatric endocrinologist. This is a healthcare provider who focuses on problems with hormones in children.
Hormone therapy may be used for some children. These can help to cause penile growth. In some cases, your child may need surgery. Talk with your child’s healthcare providers about the risks, benefits, and possible side effects of all treatments.
What are possible complications of micropenis in a child?
In some cases, a man with micropenis may have low sperm count. This can result in infertility or decreased fertility.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call the healthcare provider if your child has:
- Symptoms that don’t get better, or get worse
- New symptoms
Key points about micropenis in children
- A micropenis is a penis that is smaller than normal. A penis length of less than 1.9 cm (0.75 inches) for a newborn boy is considered micropenis.
- Micropenis can happen on its own. But it usually happens along with other disorders.
- This condition can occur if a child has a hormone disorder that causes an abnormal level of the hormones involved in the growth of the sexual organs. This can include problems with the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus.
- Hormone therapy may be used to treat some children. This can help to cause penile growth. Sometimes surgery may be an option.
- In some cases, a man with micropenis may have low sperm count. This can result in infertility or decreased fertility.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
4045Girl owl baby shower ideas
512Finding nemo baby shower ideas
3989Simple boy baby shower ideas
23788The Tribe Is Dead
1697Baby shower gift baskets ideas
3725Baby shower bee theme ideas
2745Baby shower idea decorations
3863Baby shower high tea ideas
1549Baby shower meal ideas
2320929 Best Toys and Gift Ideas for 1 year old girls in 2018
2897Country western baby shower ideas
536Baby shower candy table ideas
2711Baby shower cake and cupcake ideas
708Free printable baby shower games ideas
2743Baby shower ideas for decorating
3177Baby shower craft gift ideas
3821Ideas for baby shower gifts homemade
2349Baby shower cakes for boys ideas