What is meconium aspiration?
Meconium aspiration happens when a newborn breathes in a mixture of meconium and amniotic fluid. Amniotic fluid is the liquid that surrounds the baby in the womb. Meconium is the baby’s first stool, or poop, which is sticky, thick, and dark green. It is typically passed in the womb during early pregnancy and again in the first few days after birth.
What causes meconium aspiration?
Doctors don’t fully understand why babies release stool before they are born. It may be a natural event or it may be caused by stress. Meconium aspiration only happens in a small number of births.
Who is at risk for meconium aspiration?
Meconium aspiration is most common in babies who are born:
- Full-term (between 37 to 41 weeks) who are small for gestational age
- Post-term (after 42 weeks)
What are the symptoms of meconium aspiration?
Meconium gives the amniotic fluid a greenish color. This is called meconium staining. If meconium has been in the amniotic fluid for a long time, your baby may have yellowed skin and nails.
Your baby may also have symptoms such as:
- Rapid breathing
- Muscles of the ribs pulling in toward the chest when the child breathes
- Grunting sounds with breathing
- Bluish skin color
- An enlarged or bloated chest because of trapped air
The symptoms of meconium aspiration may look like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is meconium aspiration diagnosed?
Your child’s healthcare provider will check the amniotic fluid for meconium at the time of birth. Your healthcare provider may also recommend a chest X-ray to check for problems in your baby’s lungs.
How is meconium aspiration treated?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is. Your baby’s healthcare provider will likely recommend treatment for meconium aspiration based on:
- The amount and thickness of the meconium
- How long your baby was exposed to the meconium
- How well your baby can breathe
At birth, treatment may include:
- Suctioning of the upper airways, including the nose, mouth, and throat
- Suctioning of the lower airways through an endotracheal tube placed in the windpipe. This is not recommended routinely unless it is needed.
- Oxygen given by face mask or mechanical ventilator
What are the complications of meconium aspiration?
When babies take their first breaths at delivery, bits of meconium can enter the airway. They can then be inhaled deep into the lungs. The meconium may stick to the air sacs (alveoli). This makes it hard for your baby to take in oxygen. It may also trap air in the baby’s lungs.
It can also cause an infection such as pneumonia. Most babies generally get better within a few days. But severe cases of meconium aspiration may lead to death in a small number of babies.
Can meconium aspiration be prevented?
It’s important to know if your baby has been exposed to meconium to prevent severe breathing problems. A procedure called amnioinfusion may be used during labor if you have meconium-stained amniotic fluid. During this procedure, your healthcare provider puts a small tube into your uterus through the vagina. Sterile fluid is put into the womb through the tube to help thin out the thick meconium.
Key points about meconium aspiration
- Meconium aspiration happens when a newborn breathes in a mixture of meconium and amniotic fluid.
- Doctors don’t fully understand why babies release stool before they are born.
- It is most common in babies born full-term (between 37 to 41 weeks) who are small for gestational age. It is also most common in babies who are born post-term (after 42 weeks).
- Your healthcare provider will check the amniotic fluid for meconium at the time of birth.
- Most babies generally get better within a few days.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
3787Baby shower decor ideas pinterest
1395Baby shower for a girl ideas
4257Baby shower ideas uk
140Baby shower food ideas for a boy
3019Winter baby shower food ideas
3799Baby shower decor ideas for a girl
638Alice in wonderland baby shower ideas
3455Baby shower breakfast ideas
3873Rainforest baby shower ideas
2485Easy food ideas for baby shower
430Second baby shower ideas
4227Easy baby shower cake decorating ideas
3997Traditional baby shower ideas
23758Paleo Banana Pancakes
796Baby shower prizes ideas for games
484Bee baby shower ideas
3969Baby shower pinterest ideas
3641Cake ideas for girl baby shower