Mastoiditis in Children
What is mastoiditis in children?
Mastoiditis is an inflammation or infection of the mastoid bone. This bone is one of the bones in the head. It is located behind the ear. The mastoid bone is made of cells that drain the middle ear. Mastoiditis may be mild or very serious.
What causes mastoiditis in a child?
Mastoiditis is a complication of a middle ear infection. It happens when the infection in the middle ear spreads into the mastoid bone.
What are the symptoms of mastoiditis in a child?
Here are the most common symptoms of mastoiditis:
- Pain, redness, or swelling behind the ear
- Ear pain
- An ear lobe that sticks out because of swelling of the mastoid bone
- Irritability or fussiness
- Hearing loss
The symptoms of mastoiditis may look like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is mastoiditis diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask questions about your child’s health history and current symptoms. He or she will examine your child. The provider will pay close attention to the ears, nose, and throat. He or she will use a lighted instrument called an otoscope to look at the middle ear. Your child may need an X-ray and CT scans of the mastoid area. Fluid from the middle ear may be sent to the lab to be checked.
How is mastoiditis treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Treatment usually includes antibiotic medicine and draining the middle ear. Your child may need ear tubes. Your child may need to stay in the hospital. Some children may need other surgery.
What are the possible complications of mastoiditis in a child?
Possible complications include:
- Hearing loss
- Serious infection in nearby tissue
- Facial nerve damage
- Inner ear problems
- Inflammation or infection of the covering of the brain and spinal cord (meningitis)
Mastoiditis is usually treated by an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) healthcare provider. It is very important for your child to go to all follow-up appointments to check for hearing problems and other complications.
What can I do to prevent mastoiditis in my child?
Mastoiditis is a complication of a middle ear infection. So it is important to treat an ear infection before it spreads to the mastoid bone.
Key points about mastoiditis in children
- Mastoiditis is an inflammation or infection of the mastoid bone.
- Mastoiditis is a complication of a middle ear infection. It happens when the infection in the middle ear spreads into the mastoid bone.
- Treatment of mastoiditis usually includes antibiotic medicine and draining the middle ear.
- Mastoiditis is usually treated by an ear, nose, and throat healthcare provider.
- Complications can include hearing loss, facial nerve damage, and meningitis. So it is very important for your child to go to all follow-up appointments to check for hearing problems and other complications.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
1359Photo booth ideas for baby shower
1663Baby shower photography ideas
1885Baby shower gift message ideas
4273Western baby shower ideas for boys
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
2705Baby shower favorites ideas
21050Week 5 – Pregnant and Conquering Every Step
3681Decor for baby shower ideas
2955Shower ideas for baby boy
2075Cute cheap baby shower ideas
1056Baby shower cake decorating ideas
208Prince baby shower ideas
1653Unique baby shower decorating ideas
682Baby shower gift ideas pinterest
890Cheap baby shower gift ideas
160Baby shower brunch ideas
3049Handmade baby shower ideas
332Homemade baby shower gift ideas