Keratitis in Children
What is keratitis in children?
Keratitis is an inflammation or infection of the cornea of the eye. The cornea is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye.
What causes keratitis in a child?
Keratitis can happen for many reasons. The following are some common causes of the condition:
- Not having enough vitamin A
- Trauma. This may result from an object being inserted into your child’s eye.
Which children are at risk for keratitis?
Children are more likely to get keratitis if they wear contact lenses. Your child’s risk may be higher if he or she doesn’t clean the lenses well. Touching the lenses with dirty hands or putting the lenses on dirty surfaces may also increase your child’s risk.
What are the symptoms of keratitis in children?
Symptoms can happen a bit differently in each child. The can include:
- Pain and redness in the eye
- Discomfort when your child looks at a light (photophobia)
- Tearing, watery eyes
- Discharge coming from the eyes
- Blurry vision
- Feeling like there’s something is in the eye
The symptoms of this health problem may be similar to symptoms of other conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is keratitis diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask you about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an exam.
In some cases, your child’s healthcare provider may take a sample of your child’s eye drainage. He or she will then test this sample. These results may tell the cause of the eye infection.
How is keratitis treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Your child’s healthcare provider may refer him or her to an ophthalmologist or optometrist. These are healthcare providers with special training to diagnose treat eye problems.
What are the complications of keratitis in a child?
This condition is a medical emergency. In severe cases, it may lead to blindness.
Key points about keratitis in children
- Keratitis is an inflammation or infection of the cornea of the eye.
- Wearing contact lenses is a risk factor for this issue. Your child’s risk may be higher if he or she doesn’t clean the lenses well.
- To diagnose this problem, your child’s healthcare provider will ask you about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an exam.
- Your child may need to see an eye healthcare provider for treatment.
- This condition is a medical emergency. In severe cases, it may lead to blindness.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
2911Baby shower gift ideas dad
3487Baby shower prize ideas for coed
1058Two peas in a pod baby shower ideas
330Baby shower punch ideas
23818Emotional and Social Development Milestones for toddler (2-3 years)
3079Sheet cake baby shower ideas
3909Pictures of baby shower decorations ideas
1122Door prize ideas for baby shower
2251Baby shower decorations for a girl ideas
3093Simple baby shower menu ideas
1953Girl monkey baby shower ideas
1591Unusual baby shower ideas
3599Easy baby shower cake ideas for a boy
3089Baby shower recipes ideas
1497Food ideas for baby shower cheap
22655Week 20 – We Made It Halfway!
2869Cheap ideas for a baby shower
2263Green and blue baby shower ideas