Immunoglobulin A Deficiency
What is IgA deficiency?
Immunoglobulin A (IgA) is a blood protein that’s part of your immune system. Your body makes IgA to help fight off sickness.
IgA is found in mucous membranes, mainly in the respiratory and GI tracts, and in saliva, tears, and breast milk. It seems to play a part in asthma and allergies. Researchers have also linked IgA to autoimmune health problems. These are health problems in which your body’s own immune system attacks your body by mistake.
Having an IgA deficiency means that you have low levels or no immunoglobulin A in your bloodstream.
What causes IgA deficiency?
IgA deficiency is a health problem passed down through families. This means it is genetic. In rare cases, it can be caused by medicines you are taking.
What are the symptoms of IgA deficiency?
Most people with an IgA deficiency don’t have any symptoms of the health problem. It’s usually found on a blood test, if it’s found at all. Some people with an IgA deficiency are more likely to getting frequent infections. These can include sinus, lung, and GI infections. Some IgA deficiency patients also are more prone to allergies, GI, and autoimmune problems such as Celiac disease or lupus.
How is IgA deficiency diagnosed?
If IgA deficiency runs in your family and you have some of the above symptoms, you might be at risk. Blood tests can be used to see if IgA is missing in your blood.
How is IgA deficiency treated?
There is no cure for IgA deficiency. Immunotherapy does not work to treat it. But you can take steps to lessen your risk for illness or infection. These include taking antibiotics when you get sick. If infections are ongoing (chronic), daily antibiotics may be needed.
What are the complications of IgA deficiency?
Potential complications can include:
- Eye infection
- Ear infection
- Skin infection
Can IgA deficiency be prevented?
Because IgA deficiency is usually a problem that is passed down through your family, you can’t do anything to prevent it. But you can limit the spread of germs and sickness by washing your hands often and avoiding large crowds. This is especially true during cold and flu season. Also, talk with your health care provider about vaccinations that may help and when you should get them.
If you have immunoglobulin A deficiency and are worried about the risks of passing it on to your children, talk with a genetic counselor.
Immunoglobulin A (IgA) is a blood protein that’s part of your immune system. IgA is found in mucous membranes, especially in the respiratory and GI tracts. It is also found in saliva, tears, and breast milk.
- IgA appears to play a part in asthma and allergies.
- IgA deficiency is a genetic health problem passed down through families.
- Most people with an IgA deficiency don’t have any symptoms.
- Blood tests can be used to see if IgA is missing from your blood.
- There is no cure for IgA deficiency. Immunotherapy does not work to treat it.
- There can be complications for IgA deficiency that include asthma, diarrhea, ear and eye infections, and pneumonia.
- Because IgA deficiency is usually an inherited problem, you can’t do anything to prevent it.
- You can limit the spread of germs and illnesses by washing your hands often and avoiding large crowds especially during the cold and flu season.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your health care provider:
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
- At the visit, write down the names of new medicines, treatments, or tests, and any new instructions your provider gives you.
- If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
3719Baby shower ideas for cakes
526Baby shower gift ideas for guest
3791Shower ideas for baby
2391613 Best electric motorcycle for kids in 2018
3647Great ideas for a baby shower
3823Baby shower food ideas boy
1719Gift idea for baby shower
2159Cute ideas for a baby shower
2673Decorating ideas for baby shower girl
3087Baby shower goodies ideas
3683Food ideas for baby shower luncheon
1347Gift ideas for a baby shower
14Baby shower gift ideas
156Ladybug baby shower ideas
18Boy baby shower ideas
3275Clothesline baby shower ideas
2313Cute baby girl baby shower ideas
2445Sport themed baby shower ideas