Hypospadias in Children
What is hypospadias in children?
Hypospadias is a problem where the opening of the urethra is not at the tip of the penis. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body. With hypospadias, the end of the tube is lower down on the underside of the penis. Or it may be in the scrotum. The foreskin of the penis also forms abnormally. Hypospadias can prevent normal urine flow. Later in life it can cause problems with semen flow, resulting in infertility.
What causes hypospadias in a child?
Hypospadias is a problem that some boys are born with (congenital). It happens during growth in the mother’s uterus. As the baby grows in the uterus, the tissue on the underside of the penis that forms part of the urethra doesn’t fully close. The foreskin doesn’t fully develop. This leaves extra foreskin on the top side of the penis and no foreskin on the underside of the penis.
Which children are at risk for hypospadias?
A baby is more at risk for hypospadias if he or she:
What are the symptoms of hypospadias in a child?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- Abnormal look of foreskin and penis
- Abnormal direction of urine stream
- End of penis curves downward
The symptoms of hypospadias can seem like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is hypospadias diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and health history. He or she may also ask about your family’s health history. The provider will give your child a physical exam. This will include looking at your baby’s penis and foreskin.
How is hypospadias treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Hypospadias can be fixed with surgery. Surgery is often done when a baby is 6 to 24 months old. This is when penile growth is minimal. Your baby should not be circumcised at birth. This is because the foreskin may be needed to repair the penis. In some cases, more than one surgery is needed to complete the repair.
Talk with your child’s healthcare providers about the risks, benefits, and possible side effects surgery.
What are possible complications of hypospadias in a child?
If a hypospadias is not repaired, your child may have problems such as:
- Abnormal urine stream. The urine stream may point in the direction of the opening, such as downward. Or it may spray in multiple directions.
- Curving penis. As your child grows, his penis may curve. This can cause sexual dysfunction later in life.
- Infertility. If the urethral opening is closer to the scrotum or perineum, your child may have problems with fertility later in life.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call the healthcare provider if your child has:
- Symptoms that don’t get better, or get worse
- New symptoms
Key points about hypospadias in children
- Hypospadias is a problem where the opening of the urethra is not at the tip of the penis. The end of the urethra is lower down on the underside of the penis. Or it may be in the scrotum. The foreskin of the penis also forms abnormally.
- It is a problem that some boys are born with. It happens during a baby’s growth in the uterus.
- It can be fixed with surgery. Surgery is often done when a baby is 6 to 24 months old.
- Your baby should not be circumcised at birth. This is because the foreskin may be needed to repair the penis. In some cases, more than one surgery is needed to complete the repair.
- If the condition is not repaired, your child may have problems such as abnormal urine flow, a curving penis, and infertility.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
4065Ideas on baby showers
3453Baby shower decorations for a boy ideas
1531Affordable baby shower ideas
2083Ideas for baby shower decorations for a boy
3993Cutest baby shower ideas blog
2063Pink baby shower punch ideas
2843Baby shower ideas for twin boy and girl
646Idea for baby shower
2445Sport themed baby shower ideas
228Baby shower ideas for girl
3127Jungle safari baby shower ideas
3077Do it yourself baby shower favor ideas
926Pumpkin baby shower ideas
1619Cheap baby shower ideas for a girl
2805Baby shower centerpiece ideas for boys
2391Baby shower centerpieces for boy ideas
23703A Dirty Kid is a Happy Kid! Why Everyone Should Play in the Dirt
3789Afternoon tea baby shower ideas