Hypoparathyroidism in Children
What is hypoparathyroidism in children?
Hypoparathyroidism is when the parathyroid glands don’t make enough parathyroid hormone. The parathyroid glands are 4 tiny glands on the thyroid. The hormone they make helps manage levels of calcium in the bloodstream. Low levels of the hormone leads to low levels of calcium. This can lead to muscle spasms and cramping, called tetany.
What causes hypoparathyroidism in a child?
Causes can include:
- Accidental removal of part or all of a parathyroid gland during thyroid surgery
- A baby born without parathyroid glands
In some cases, the cause is unknown.
Which children are at risk for hypoparathyroidism?
A child is at risk for if he or she has any of these:
- Previous surgery on the neck or thyroid gland
- An autoimmune disease
- Family history of hypoparathyroidism
- Preterm birth
What are the symptoms of hypoparathyroidism in a child?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- Numbness around the mouth or in hands or feet
- Uncontrollable, painful spasms of the face, hands, arms, and feet
- Low blood pressure
- Unstable emotions, anxiety, or depression
- Dental problems
- Coarse, brittle hair
The symptoms of hypoparathyroidism can be like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is hypoparathyroidism diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and health history. He or she may also ask about your family’s health history. He or she will give your child a physical exam. Your child may also have blood tests. These are done to measure the levels of salts and parathyroid hormone in the blood.
How is hypoparathyroidism treated in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will consider his or her age, overall health, and other factors when advising treatment. Your child may need to see a pediatric endocrinologist. This is a doctor with extra training in treating children with hormone problems.
Treatment may include an infusion of calcium through an IV. This can give relief of symptoms right away. Your child may also need to take calcium and vitamin D supplements for life. Your child may get parathyroid hormone injections if they still have a low calcium level after taking calcium and vitamin D.
What are possible complications of hypoparathyroidism in a child?
If untreated, the condition can cause serious complications such as:
- Uncontrollable, painful muscle spasms
- Kidney damage
- Heart failure
- Stunted growth
- Dental defects
How can I help my child live with hypoparathyroidism?
Hypoparathyroidism after neck surgery may go away on its own. But it is usually a life-long condition. Work with your child’s healthcare providers to create an ongoing plan to manage your child’s condition.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call your child’s healthcare provider if your child has any symptoms of hypoparathyroidism.
Key points about hypoparathyroidism in children
- Hypoparathyroidism is when the parathyroid glands don’t make enough parathyroid hormone. The hormone manages levels of calcium in the bloodstream. Low levels of the hormone leads to low levels of calcium.
- Symptoms can include uncontrollable, painful spasms of the face, hands, arms, and feet.
- The condition can be caused by accidental removal of part or all of a parathyroid gland during thyroid surgery.
- Your child may have blood tests. These are done to measure the levels of salts and parathyroid hormone in the blood.
- Treatment may include an injection of calcium. This can give relief of symptoms right away. Your child may also need to take calcium and vitamin D supplements for life.
- Hypoparathyroidism after neck surgery may go away on its own. But it is usually a life-long condition.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
1379Sports baby shower ideas
3883Baby shower invite ideas wording
3349Unique baby shower gift ideas for dad
4255Pinterest baby shower decoration ideas
1669Baby girl baby shower decoration ideas
1341Baby shower decorations ideas for a boy
3425Ideas for boy baby showers
2847Frugal baby shower ideas
332Homemade baby shower gift ideas
1066Baby shower ideas for food
1735Party favors for baby shower ideas
2927Games ideas for baby shower
2320929 Best Toys and Gift Ideas for 1 year old girls in 2018
2985Baby shower ideas pintrest
3557Star themed baby shower ideas
2485Easy food ideas for baby shower
3895Cake decorating ideas for baby shower
1911Tinkerbell baby shower ideas