Hypocalcemia in the Newborn
What is hypocalcemia in the newborn?
Hypocalcemia is when a person doesn’t have enough calcium in the blood. In babies, it’s called neonatal hypocalcemia. Your baby can get it at different times and from different causes.
- Early hypocalcemia happens in the first 2 to 3 days of a baby’s life. It is more likely to go away.
- Late hypocalcemia starts in the first week or weeks after birth and is less likely to go away.
What causes hypocalcemia in the newborn?
Early hypocalcemia can have a variety of causes and usually goes away.
Late hypocalcemia is rare and has a number of known causes. Late hypocalcemia may be caused by drinking cow’s milk or formula that has too much phosphate. This is no longer a common cause. Hypocalcemia can also be caused by a problem with parathyroid hormone. This hormone is made by the parathyroid glands in the neck. It helps keep the amount of calcium and phosphorus at a normal level in the blood. Low parathyroid hormone levels can cause too little calcium in the blood. A number of conditions, such as DiGeorge syndrome (22q11.2 deletion syndrome), may cause low parathyroid hormone levels. This is because calcium and phosphorus levels in the body are interrelated. Low magnesium levels may also cause low calcium levels. This is because calcium levels are related to levels of magnesium.
Which newborns are at risk for hypocalcemia?
Hypocalcemia is more common in babies who are premature or who have a low birth weight. This is because their parathyroid glands are less mature. Babies whose growth has been slower than usual before birth may be more likely to have severe hypocalcemia. This happens because less calcium crossed the placenta. Hypocalcemia can also occur in babies who have a difficult birth and in babies whose mothers have diabetes.
What are the symptoms of hypocalcemia in the newborn?
Symptoms of hypocalcemia may not be obvious in newborns. Most infants have no symptoms. If a baby does have symptoms, they may include:
- Muscle twitches
- Poor feeding
The symptoms of hypocalcemia in the newborn may look like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is hypocalcemia in the newborn diagnosed?
Your baby’s healthcare provider will examine your baby. He or she will also do tests to check the amount of calcium in the baby’s blood.
How is hypocalcemia in the newborn treated?
Hypocalcemia may get better without treatment, especially if there are no symptoms. Early hypocalcemia most often goes away in a few days. Babies with late hypocalcemia may have calcium supplements in their feedings or in an IV.
Key points about hypocalcemia in the newborn
- Hypocalcemia is when a child doesn’t have enough calcium in the blood.
- There are 2 types of hypocalcemia in the newborn. Early hypocalcemia usually goes away. Late hypocalcemia does not.
- onset happens in the first 2 days of life. Late onset happens after 3 days of life.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
176Mustache baby shower ideas
2327Diaper gift ideas for baby shower
1809Woodland themed baby shower ideas
1084Baby shower ideas for a girl theme
990Baby shower gift bags ideas
2717Baby boy shower favor ideas to make
3025Handmade baby shower invitation ideas
2471Baby shower centerpiece ideas for a girl
1449King of the jungle baby shower ideas
23798Understanding Your New Baby
2817Baby shower punch bowl ideas
2853Winnie the pooh themed baby shower ideas
4071Baby shower theme party ideas
300Baby shower cookie ideas
2313Cute baby girl baby shower ideas
1327Homemade baby shower decoration ideas for boys
1985Baby shower basket gift ideas
3691Menu ideas for baby shower lunch