What is hyperemesis gravidarum?
Many pregnant women have some nausea and sometimes vomiting in the first trimester. This is called morning sickness. Symptoms are often more severe in the morning. But nausea and vomiting with pregnancy can happen at any time of the day. Some women may feel sick throughout the pregnancy.
A few pregnant women have a severe kind of nausea and vomiting called hyperemesis gravidarum [hy-puhr-EM-uh-sis grav-ih-DAHR-um]. With this condition, nausea and vomiting may be all day long. These women often lose weight, and get dehydrated. They may also have changes in the body’s chemical processes.
What causes hyperemesis gravidarum?
Healthcare providers don’t know what causes hyperemesis gravidarum. It may be related to pregnancy hormones.
Who is at risk for hyperemesis gravidarum?
The condition is more common in women who are pregnant with twins or more. It’s also more common in women with migraines. Women with a family history of the condition or who had the condition in a past pregnancy are more likely to have it with future pregnancies.
What are the symptoms of hyperemesis gravidarum?
These are the most common symptoms:
- Constant nausea, especially during the first trimester
- Vomiting after eating or drinking
- Vomiting not related to eating
- Weight loss. This especially true if it is 5% or more of what you weighed before pregnancy.
- Signs of dehydration. These include dry mouth, thirst, small amounts of dark urine, and feeling lightheaded.
The symptoms may look like other health conditions. Always see your healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is hyperemesis gravidarum diagnosed?
Your healthcare provider will review your health history and do a physical exam. He or she will also look for other signs, such as weight loss and dehydration. Blood tests can check for too little or too much of the body’s minerals (electrolytes).
How is hyperemesis gravidarum treated?
Treatment aims to:
- Relieve nausea and vomiting
- Replace fluids and electrolytes
- Improve nutrition and weight gain
You will likely need to stay in the hospital. All food and drink are stopped temporarily. This gives the digestive tract a rest. You will usually need Intravenous (IV) fluids to replace fluids you have lost. The IV fluids also fix problems with minerals (electrolytes) in your body. You may need a sedative and anti-vomiting medicine. If other treatments do not work, you may need steroids or tube feedings.
What are the complications of hyperemesis gravidarum?
The condition can lead to:
- Fluid and electrolyte problems
- Poor nutrition
- Liver damage and yellowing of the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes (jaundice)
- B vitamin (thiamine) deficiency
- Poor growth of the developing baby
Key points about hyperemesis gravidarum
- The condition is a severe form of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy that affects a small number of women. Nausea and vomiting may be constant. You may lose weight, get dehydrated, and have changes in the body’s chemicals (electrolytes).
- The cause may be related to pregnancy hormones.
- You may need to stay in the hospital for treatment.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed, and how it will help you. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if you do not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
3187Thank you gift ideas for baby shower hostess
1495Rubber duckie baby shower ideas
3903Ice cream baby shower ideas
966Owl baby shower cake ideas
3757Healthy baby shower food ideas
3051Pinterest baby shower ideas for a boy
1481Owl baby shower favor ideas
772Baby shower pins ideas
3609Baby shower boy ideas pinterest
3613Different ideas for baby shower
1116Baby shower umbrella ideas
662Themed baby shower ideas
938Baby shower cake topper ideas
4157Baby shower event ideas
23733How to Make Collagen Bone Broth
2031Baby shower outside ideas
23795Instantly Know More Than 10,000 Health Books…