Hydrocele in Children
What is a hydrocele in children?
A hydrocele a buildup of fluid in the thin pouch (tunica vaginalis) that holds the testes in the scrotum. Up to 1 in 10 baby boys have a hydrocele at birth. In most cases, it goes away without treatment within the first year.
How to say it
What causes a hydrocele in a child?
In a baby growing in the womb, the tunica vaginalis is formed in the baby’s belly (abdomen) and then moves into the scrotum with the testes. After the pouch is in the testes, it seals off from the abdomen. But in some cases this doesn’t happen normally. It can then cause a hydrocele.
There are 2 types of hydrocele:
- Communicating hydrocele. This type of hydrocele is caused when the tunica vaginalis does not close completely. A small amount of abdominal fluid can flow in and out of the thin pouch. The amount of fluid changes throughout the day and night. This changes the size of the hydrocele.
- Noncommunicating hydrocele. This type of hydrocele may be present at birth. It usually goes away on its own with no treatment within 1 year. But this type of hydrocele in an older child may be a sign of other problems. These include infection, twisting of the testes (torsion), or a tumor.
What are the symptoms of a hydrocele in a child?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- A lump or swelling that is smooth and not painful
- A scrotum that gets smaller at night while lying flat, and bigger during activity
The symptoms of a hydrocele can be like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a hydrocele diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and health history. He or she will give your child a physical exam.
The healthcare provider may need to check if the mass is a hydrocele or an inguinal hernia. An inguinal hernia is a weak area in the lower belly wall (inguinal canal) where intestines may bulge. To check for this problem, your child may have an ultrasound study. This is a painless imaging test that uses sound waves to look at tissues in the body.
The healthcare provider may also shine a strong light through one side of the scrotum, and look at the scrotum from the other side. This is called transillumination. This will help show if the problem is a hydrocele or a hernia.
How is a hydrocele treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
A noncommunicating hydrocele usually goes away on its own by the time a child reaches his first birthday. The fluid is reabsorbed into the body from the pouch.
A hydrocele that lasts longer than 12 to 18 months is usually a communicating hydrocele. This usually needs surgery to prevent an inguinal hernia. The surgery is done by making a small cut (incision) in the groin. The provider drains the fluid and closes off the opening to the tunica vaginalis.
Talk with your child’s healthcare provider about the risks, benefits, and possible side effects of all treatments.
What are possible complications of a hydrocele in a child?
After the hydrocele goes away or is treated, long-term problems are rare.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call the healthcare provider if your child has:
- A large hydrocele that is firm
- Painful scrotum
- Other symptoms that don’t get better, or get worse
- New symptoms
Key points about a hydrocele in children
- A hydrocele a buildup of fluid in the thin pouch that holds the testes in the scrotum.
- Up to 1 in 10 baby boys have a hydrocele at birth. In most cases, it goes away without treatment within the first year.
- There are 2 types of hydrocele. A hydrocele that lasts longer than 12 to 18 months is usually a communicating hydrocele. This usually needs surgery to prevent an inguinal hernia.
- A noncommunicating hydrocele may be present at birth. It usually goes away on its own with no treatment within 1 year.
- Symptoms can include a lump or swelling that is smooth and not painful, or a scrotum that changes size.
- After the hydrocele goes away or is treated, long-term problems are rare.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
2945Baby diaper shower ideas
3019Winter baby shower food ideas
3723Baby shower cute food ideas
1829Girly baby shower ideas
13432015 baby shower ideas
778Monkey themed baby shower ideas
584Baby shower cupcake decorating ideas
698Baby shower ideas boys
4261Baby shower hostess ideas
794Ideas for baby shower cakes
4295Baby shower games ideas free printable
54Baby shower centerpiece ideas
1233Baby shower sign in book ideas
1070Baby shower baskets ideas
3779Cake ideas baby shower
1689Baby shower napkin ideas
23800The Benefits Of Disciplining Your Children In A Positive Manner
2741Baby shower baking ideas