Holter Monitoring for Children
What is Holter monitoring for children?
Holter monitoring is a way to continuously check the electrical activity of the heart. Your child will wear a small device called a Holter monitor for at least 24 to 48 hours. The device constantly checks your child’s heart during this time, even while away from the doctor’s office. This is different from electrocardiography (ECG). ECG checks the heart for only a few minutes.
Your child’s regular healthcare provider will likely refer you to a pediatric cardiologist for this test. This is a doctor with special training to diagnose and treat heart problems in children.
Why might my child need Holter monitoring?
Some reasons for your child’s Holter monitoring are:
- Chest pain
- Other signs and symptoms that may be from a heart problem, such as tiredness, shortness of breath, dizziness, or fainting
- Irregular heartbeats
- Abnormal ECG
What are the risks of Holter monitoring for a child?
There are no risks of Holter monitoring.
How do I get my child ready for Holter monitoring?
Explain the test to your child. Your child does not need to do anything else to get ready.
What happens during Holter monitoring for a child?
Holter monitoring is done as follows:
- The healthcare provider places small plastic patches (electrodes) on your child’s chest. Then he or she attaches the electrodes to the monitor with lead wires.
- The monitor is small and portable. It may be worn over the shoulder, in a special pouch, or clipped to a belt or pocket.
- You will be given instructions on:
- How to keep the electrodes attached to your child’s skin
- How to check the monitor for problems
- When to call the healthcare provider’s office for help
- How to keep a record with the date and time of day of any changes in activity and symptoms
- What to avoid
- Once your child has been hooked up to the monitor and you have been given instructions, he or she will go back to his or her usual activities.
What happens after Holter monitoring for a child?
Once the monitoring is complete, you or your healthcare provider will remove the electrodes and monitor from your child. The provider will look at the information from the monitor.
Depending on the results of the monitoring, your child’s provider may order other tests.
Before you agree to the test or the procedure for your child make sure you know:
- The name of the test or procedure
- The reason your child is having the test or procedure
- What results to expect and what they mean
- The risks and benefits of the test or procedure
- When and where your child is to have the test or procedure
- Who will do the procedure and what that person’s qualifications are
- What would happen if your child did not have the test or procedure
- Any alternative tests or procedures to think about
- When and how will you get the results
- Who to call after the test or procedure if you have questions or your child has problems
- How much will you have to pay for the test or procedure
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
1473Baby shower cake pops ideas
3875Baby boy shower invitations wording ideas
2511Baby shower party theme ideas
2889Balloon baby shower ideas
276Outdoor baby shower ideas
1317Easy baby shower food ideas
2291Pinterest boy baby shower ideas
23723A Drugged Out Pimp Gets Revenge on the Wrong Girl
1337Pink and green baby shower ideas
3853Unique gift ideas for baby shower
3957Ideas for a baby boy baby shower
2817Baby shower punch bowl ideas
944Fun baby shower game ideas
1991Homemade baby shower party favor ideas
520Baby shower candy bar ideas
3925Twin baby shower ideas pinterest
1036Baby shower unique ideas
5683The best gifts for future parents: baby car seat covers, ergobaby infant insert, and ergo doll carrier