Holter Monitoring for Children
What is Holter monitoring for children?
Holter monitoring is a way to continuously check the electrical activity of the heart. Your child will wear a small device called a Holter monitor for at least 24 to 48 hours. The device constantly checks your child’s heart during this time, even while away from the doctor’s office. This is different from electrocardiography (ECG). ECG checks the heart for only a few minutes.
Your child’s regular healthcare provider will likely refer you to a pediatric cardiologist for this test. This is a doctor with special training to diagnose and treat heart problems in children.
Why might my child need Holter monitoring?
Some reasons for your child’s Holter monitoring are:
- Chest pain
- Other signs and symptoms that may be from a heart problem, such as tiredness, shortness of breath, dizziness, or fainting
- Irregular heartbeats
- Abnormal ECG
What are the risks of Holter monitoring for a child?
There are no risks of Holter monitoring.
How do I get my child ready for Holter monitoring?
Explain the test to your child. Your child does not need to do anything else to get ready.
What happens during Holter monitoring for a child?
Holter monitoring is done as follows:
- The healthcare provider places small plastic patches (electrodes) on your child’s chest. Then he or she attaches the electrodes to the monitor with lead wires.
- The monitor is small and portable. It may be worn over the shoulder, in a special pouch, or clipped to a belt or pocket.
- You will be given instructions on:
- How to keep the electrodes attached to your child’s skin
- How to check the monitor for problems
- When to call the healthcare provider’s office for help
- How to keep a record with the date and time of day of any changes in activity and symptoms
- What to avoid
- Once your child has been hooked up to the monitor and you have been given instructions, he or she will go back to his or her usual activities.
What happens after Holter monitoring for a child?
Once the monitoring is complete, you or your healthcare provider will remove the electrodes and monitor from your child. The provider will look at the information from the monitor.
Depending on the results of the monitoring, your child’s provider may order other tests.
Before you agree to the test or the procedure for your child make sure you know:
- The name of the test or procedure
- The reason your child is having the test or procedure
- What results to expect and what they mean
- The risks and benefits of the test or procedure
- When and where your child is to have the test or procedure
- Who will do the procedure and what that person’s qualifications are
- What would happen if your child did not have the test or procedure
- Any alternative tests or procedures to think about
- When and how will you get the results
- Who to call after the test or procedure if you have questions or your child has problems
- How much will you have to pay for the test or procedure
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
656Baby shower wreath ideas
1507February baby shower ideas
2165Ideas for girl baby shower decorations
4307Idea baby shower
3469Baby shower invitation ideas for boys
526Baby shower gift ideas for guest
478Teddy bear baby shower ideas
224Baby shower theme ideas for girls
868Dessert ideas for baby shower
1309Baby shower cake ideas for boy
3009Handmade baby shower favor ideas
3321Candy buffet baby shower ideas
2549Funny baby shower gift ideas
3599Easy baby shower cake ideas for a boy
512Finding nemo baby shower ideas
1000Christian baby shower ideas
670Cute baby shower ideas for a boy
1279Baby showers ideas for a boy