Herpangina in Children
What is herpangina in children?
Herpangina is a very common illness in children. It causes small blister-like bumps or sores (ulcers) in the mouth. They are usually in the back of the throat or the roof of the mouth.
Herpangina is usually seen in children between the ages of 3 and 10. It is seen most often in the summer and fall.
How to say it
What causes herpangina in a child?
Herpangina is caused by a virus. The most common viruses that cause it are:
- Coxsackie viruses A and B
- Enterovirus 71
What are the symptoms of herpangina in a child?
Each child may feel symptoms a bit differently. But below are the most common symptoms of herpangina:
- Blister-like bumps in the mouth, usually in the back of the throat and on the roof of the mouth
- Sudden fever
- High fever, sometimes up to 106°F (41°C)
- Pain in the mouth or throat
- Decrease in appetite
How is herpangina diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider can diagnose herpangina with a complete health history and physical exam of your child. The sores look different from other sores and usually easy to identify.
How is herpangina treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The goal of treatment is to help ease symptoms. Since herpangina is a viral infection, antibiotics won’t work. Treatment may include:
- Drinking more fluids
- Taking acetaminophen for any fever
- Taking oral pain relievers, such as lozenges
- Eating a bland diet, such as cold milk and ice cream. Your child should stay away from acidic and spicy foods.
Most children with the illness feel better in about a week. It’s important that your child drinks enough fluids to prevent getting dehydrated.
How can I help prevent herpangina in my child?
Proper handwashing can help prevent the illness from being spread to other children.
Key points about herpangina in children
- Herpangina is a very common illness in children.
- It causes small blister-like bumps or sores (ulcers) in the mouth.
- It is caused by a virus. The most common ones are coxsackie viruses A and B.
- Treatment may include fluids and medicine for fever and pain.
- Proper handwashing can prevent the spread of herpangina.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
2573Food for a baby shower ideas
1182Trendy baby shower ideas
4029Baby shower hamper ideas
2009Cheap boy baby shower ideas
1006Baby shower decoration ideas for boys
3641Cake ideas for girl baby shower
3611Creative baby shower ideas diaper cake
1339Baby shower game ideas for large groups
2243Unique baby shower ideas for boy
3069Baby shower for boy decorations ideas
1769Baby shower ideas for baby girl
2989Baby shower cakes idea
834Dr seuss baby shower food ideas
1311Candy buffet ideas for baby shower
1841Boy baby shower game ideas
710Twin boy baby shower ideas
1050Owl baby shower centerpiece ideas
2131Baby shower guest pins ideas