Herpangina in Children
What is herpangina in children?
Herpangina is a very common illness in children. It causes small blister-like bumps or sores (ulcers) in the mouth. They are usually in the back of the throat or the roof of the mouth.
Herpangina is usually seen in children between the ages of 3 and 10. It is seen most often in the summer and fall.
How to say it
What causes herpangina in a child?
Herpangina is caused by a virus. The most common viruses that cause it are:
- Coxsackie viruses A and B
- Enterovirus 71
What are the symptoms of herpangina in a child?
Each child may feel symptoms a bit differently. But below are the most common symptoms of herpangina:
- Blister-like bumps in the mouth, usually in the back of the throat and on the roof of the mouth
- Sudden fever
- High fever, sometimes up to 106°F (41°C)
- Pain in the mouth or throat
- Decrease in appetite
How is herpangina diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider can diagnose herpangina with a complete health history and physical exam of your child. The sores look different from other sores and usually easy to identify.
How is herpangina treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The goal of treatment is to help ease symptoms. Since herpangina is a viral infection, antibiotics won’t work. Treatment may include:
- Drinking more fluids
- Taking acetaminophen for any fever
- Taking oral pain relievers, such as lozenges
- Eating a bland diet, such as cold milk and ice cream. Your child should stay away from acidic and spicy foods.
Most children with the illness feel better in about a week. It’s important that your child drinks enough fluids to prevent getting dehydrated.
How can I help prevent herpangina in my child?
Proper handwashing can help prevent the illness from being spread to other children.
Key points about herpangina in children
- Herpangina is a very common illness in children.
- It causes small blister-like bumps or sores (ulcers) in the mouth.
- It is caused by a virus. The most common ones are coxsackie viruses A and B.
- Treatment may include fluids and medicine for fever and pain.
- Proper handwashing can prevent the spread of herpangina.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
23706Calorie Restriction – The Quality of Diet Seems to Matter
928Baby shower foods ideas
1064Baby girl shower theme ideas
1541Lion king baby shower cake ideas
23728Cholesterol Testing For Kids
3179Autumn themed baby shower ideas
1835Baby boy shower centerpieces ideas
976Baby shower prize gift ideas
4115Ideas for boys baby shower
23820Heading off Tantrums
340Baby shower diaper ideas
1999Girl baby shower gift basket ideas
2999Pink baby shower centerpiece ideas
3523Pea in the pod baby shower ideas
3415Diy ideas for baby shower
3731Cake idea for baby shower
70Twin baby shower ideas
862Cake ideas for baby shower