Hemifacial Microsomia (HFM) in Children
What is hemifacial microsomia in children?
Hemifacial microsomia (HFM) is a congenital problem. This means that your child is born with it. In this condition, 1 side of your baby’s face is underdeveloped (hemi means half). HFM usually only affects 1 side of the face. Sometimes both sides may be affected. This condition shares features with another condition called Treacher Collins syndrome.
What causes HFM in a child?
This condition often happens by chance. It commonly develops during the fetal stage of pregnancy at around 4 weeks gestation because of vascular problems causing poor blood supply to the face. It may also run in some families. HFM may be passed on (inherited) in the following ways:
- Autosomal dominant. This means that only 1 parent passes the gene on to the child. Each child has a 1 in 2 chance of having the condition.
- Autosomal recessive. This means that both parents must have the gene to pass it on. Each child has 1 in 4 chance of having HFM.
- Multifactorial. This means that many factors are involved. The factors are often genetic and environmental (such as trauma during pregnancy).
This condition may also occur in children with other chromosome abnormalities. Chromosomes are the structures in our cells that carry our genes. These types of abnormalities often occur by chance.
What are the symptoms of HFM in a child?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child. The deformities caused by HFM vary. They may range from mild to severe. Different areas of the face may be involved. The following may be underdeveloped in HFM:
- Outside and middle ear
- Side of the skull
- Bone around the eye
- Thickness of the cheek
- Upper and lower jaws
- Some of the nerves involved in moving the face
In some babies, other parts of the body may also be affected by HFM.
How is HFM diagnosed in a child?
Geneticists often diagnose HFM. A geneticist is a doctor with special training to diagnose and treat conditions passed down in families (genetic condition). Your child’s doctor will look at his or her health history. Your child will also have an exam. Your child’s doctor may also do imaging tests to make the diagnosis.
These tests may include:
- X-rays of the head. X-rays will show the internal tissues and bones inside of your child’s head.
- CT scan. A CT scan shows detailed images of any part of the body. Your child may need a CT scan of the head. This test will show his or her bones, muscles, and underlying tissue.
How is HFM treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
If your child has severe symptoms, he or she may need several surgeries. In this case, your child will be checked by a craniofacial anomalies team. This is a group of doctors who diagnose and treat face defects.
Your child’s treatment may include:
- Fixing your child’s lower jaw. This is done using a bone graft taken from your child’s ribs.
- Using a device to correct your child’s jaw
- Surgeries to fix your child’s external ear, cheeks, or jaw
- Removing or correcting the position of your child’s teeth
What are the complications of HFM in a child?
If your child has a mild defect, he or she may not be at risk for complications. Children with more severe defects may be more likely to have issues. These can include hearing loss, eating problems, and trouble with self-image.
How can I help my child live with HFM?
Your child may have hearing loss or eating problems related to HFM. Your child will need to be under the care a team of craniofacial anomaly experts. This team may include:
- A craniofacial surgeon who can do jaw surgery and ear reconstruction
- An ophthalmologist to diagnose and treat eye and vision issues
- An orthodontist to check and treat jaw growth and alignment
- An otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat doctor of ENT) to check hearing loss
- A speech therapist to give speech therapy
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call your child’s healthcare provider if your child has any new symptoms. These can include trouble eating or gaining weight.
Key points about HFM in children
- In HFM, 1 side of your baby’s face is underdeveloped. Your baby is born with this condition.
- HFM often happens by chance. Sometimes this condition can run in families.
- Children with HFM should be checked by a craniofacial anomalies team.
- If your child has severe defects, he or she may need several surgeries to fix them.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
3189Ideas for baby shower cake
2527736 Best Toys and Gift Ideas for 10-Year-Old Boys in 2018
982Do it yourself baby shower favors ideas
3853Unique gift ideas for baby shower
1455Woodland animals baby shower ideas
612Baby shower decoration ideas for a girl
892Baby shower giveaways ideas
2841Baby shower ideas with owls
4187Baby shower invitation ideas pinterest
516Finger food ideas for baby shower
2707Coed baby shower invitation wording ideas
832Blue baby shower ideas
3095Baby shower cake ideas for twins
3627Afternoon tea ideas for baby shower
1038Balloon ideas for baby shower
1124Baby shower decorations ideas for boys
2257Cupcake ideas for baby shower girl
3685Baby shower favours ideas