Fractures of the Orbit in Children
What are fractures of the orbit in children?
An orbital fracture happens when one or more bones surrounding one of your child’s eyes is broken. The orbit is the bony structure around the eye.
What causes a fracture of the orbit in a child?
This condition often happens after an injury or a strike to the face. Depending on where the fracture is located, it can cause severe eye injury and damage.
Which children are at risk for an orbital fracture?
This fracture is more likely in adolescent and young adult males who play certain sports. These include baseball and softball.
What are the symptoms of an orbital fracture in a child?
Symptoms can happen a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- Swelling of the eyelid
- Bruising around the eye
- Pain in the eye
- Double vision
- Decreased movement of the eye
The symptoms of this condition may be similar to symptoms of other health problems. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is an orbital fracture diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask you about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an exam. Your child may also need the following tests:
- X-ray. This test shows images of internal tissues, bones, and organs.
- CT scan. A CT scan shows detailed images of any part of the body. This test will show your child’s bones, muscles, fat, and organs. CT scans are more detailed than general X-rays.
How is an orbital fracture treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is. Your child’s treatment may include the following.
Meeting with an eye healthcare provider (ophthalmologist)
Your child’s healthcare provider will do a complete evaluation of your child’s eye.
Some fractures don’t have to be treated right away. Your child’s healthcare provider may suggest waiting until the swelling and bruising goes away before treating it. Double vision may go away on its own in 3 to 4 days.
If your child has a severe fracture, he or she may need surgery. Your child may also need surgery if the fracture affects his or her eye. Your child may have surgery right away or several days after he or she gets hurt.
What are the complications of an orbital fracture in a child?
Orbital fractures may cause serious eye injuries. These are medical emergencies that need to be evaluated and possibly treated right away.
Key points about orbital fractures in children
- An orbital fracture happens when one or more bones surrounding the eye are broken.
- The condition often happens after an injury or a strike to the face. It’s most common in adolescent and young males who play baseball or softball.
- Your child may need to meet with an eye healthcare provider for a complete eye evaluation.
- If your child has a severe fracture, he or she may need surgery. Your child may also need surgery if the fracture affects his or her eye
- Orbital fractures may cause serious eye injuries. These need emergency treatment.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
402Baby boy shower gift ideas
3171Princess theme baby shower decoration ideas
426Baby shower cake ideas boy
3661Baby shower sweet ideas
1693Indian baby shower gift ideas
3027Little prince baby shower cake ideas
782Baby boy shower cakes ideas
830Tiffany baby shower ideas
4069Idea for baby shower gifts
22665Week 35 of Pregnancy – My Little Melon
66Baby girl baby shower ideas
226Little man baby shower ideas
2547Baby shower ideas themes for boys
23757Poop Like Your Primal Ancestors. Squat!
510Baby shower invite ideas
3227Baby shower invitation ideas girl
234Small baby shower ideas
954Baby shower idea for girl