Fractures of the Orbit in Children
What are fractures of the orbit in children?
An orbital fracture happens when one or more bones surrounding one of your child’s eyes is broken. The orbit is the bony structure around the eye.
What causes a fracture of the orbit in a child?
This condition often happens after an injury or a strike to the face. Depending on where the fracture is located, it can cause severe eye injury and damage.
Which children are at risk for an orbital fracture?
This fracture is more likely in adolescent and young adult males who play certain sports. These include baseball and softball.
What are the symptoms of an orbital fracture in a child?
Symptoms can happen a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- Swelling of the eyelid
- Bruising around the eye
- Pain in the eye
- Double vision
- Decreased movement of the eye
The symptoms of this condition may be similar to symptoms of other health problems. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is an orbital fracture diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask you about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an exam. Your child may also need the following tests:
- X-ray. This test shows images of internal tissues, bones, and organs.
- CT scan. A CT scan shows detailed images of any part of the body. This test will show your child’s bones, muscles, fat, and organs. CT scans are more detailed than general X-rays.
How is an orbital fracture treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is. Your child’s treatment may include the following.
Meeting with an eye healthcare provider (ophthalmologist)
Your child’s healthcare provider will do a complete evaluation of your child’s eye.
Some fractures don’t have to be treated right away. Your child’s healthcare provider may suggest waiting until the swelling and bruising goes away before treating it. Double vision may go away on its own in 3 to 4 days.
If your child has a severe fracture, he or she may need surgery. Your child may also need surgery if the fracture affects his or her eye. Your child may have surgery right away or several days after he or she gets hurt.
What are the complications of an orbital fracture in a child?
Orbital fractures may cause serious eye injuries. These are medical emergencies that need to be evaluated and possibly treated right away.
Key points about orbital fractures in children
- An orbital fracture happens when one or more bones surrounding the eye are broken.
- The condition often happens after an injury or a strike to the face. It’s most common in adolescent and young males who play baseball or softball.
- Your child may need to meet with an eye healthcare provider for a complete eye evaluation.
- If your child has a severe fracture, he or she may need surgery. Your child may also need surgery if the fracture affects his or her eye
- Orbital fractures may cause serious eye injuries. These need emergency treatment.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
3595Gift ideas for mum to be at baby shower
1887Baby boy baby shower themes ideas
1785Open house baby shower ideas
3637Free printable baby shower ideas
2619Owl girl baby shower ideas
3603Game ideas for baby showers
3343Baby shower boy cupcakes ideas
3499Baby shower cakes girl ideas
2053Boy baby showers ideas
3931Baby shower ideas for centerpieces for tables
4277Baby shower gifts ideas for mom
1945Baby shower color ideas
2737Baby shower ideas for a boy centerpieces
1331Man baby shower ideas
1691Jungle theme baby shower centerpiece ideas
2609Baby boy decorating ideas for baby shower
3463Safari baby shower centerpieces ideas
388Cute baby shower gift ideas