Foreign Bodies in the Eye in Children
What are foreign bodies?
A foreign body is any object in your child’s eye that isn’t supposed to be there. The foreign object may be in the conjunctiva. This is a thin membrane that covers the eye itself. Or it may be in the cornea. This is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye.
What causes foreign bodies in the eye in a child?
The most common foreign bodies in the conjunctiva include:
- Contact lenses
The most common foreign bodies in the cornea include:
- Pieces of metal or rust
- Pieces of rusty objects
What are the symptoms of foreign bodies in the eye in a child?
Symptoms can happen a bit differently in each child. They may include:
- Feeling like there’s a foreign object in the eye
- Eye pain, especially when looking at light
- Tearing of the eye
- Blinking a lot
The symptoms of foreign bodies in the eye may look like symptoms of other eye issues or health problems. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a foreign body in the eye diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an eye exam. Your child may get local numbing (anesthetic) eye drops for the exam.
Your child’s healthcare provider may also perform a fluorescein stain. This test can tell if there is an abrasion in your child’s cornea. For this test, your child’s healthcare provider will place a small amount of a dye into your child’s eye. This won’t hurt your child. Then, your child’s healthcare provider will use a special light to look at the surface of the cornea to look for an abrasion or scratch.
How is a foreign body in the eye treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Removal of the foreign body
If your child’s healthcare provider sees a foreign body, he or she may remove it. He or she may use a small cotton applicator to do this. Or he or she may wash your child’s eye out with saline.
The provider may put an antibiotic ointment in your child’s eye.
Evaluation by an eye healthcare provider
If your child’s healthcare provider can’t remove the foreign body or if your child is in a lot of pain, your child may need to see a specialist. Your child’s healthcare provider may refer your child to an ophthalmologist or optometrist. These are healthcare providers with special training to treat eye problems.
An eye patch
If your child has a scratch or injury to the cornea (corneal abrasion), he or she may need to wear an eye patch. This can make your child more comfortable. Your child may need to wear the patch for 12 to 24 hours. Your child’s healthcare provider may use a soft contact lens instead of a traditional patch. Your child may also need an antibiotic eye ointment.
If your child’s abrasion is severe, your child will need to see an eye healthcare provider. Severe abrasions increase the risk for eye damage.
Your child may need a tetanus shot after the foreign body is taken out. This depends on what the foreign body was. It also depends on the vaccines your child has already had.
Your child will need follow-up care with his or her healthcare provider after the foreign body is removed.
Key points about a foreign body in the eye in children
- A foreign body means any object in your child’s eye that isn’t supposed to be there.
- Common foreign bodies in the eye include dirt, dust, makeup, and pieces of metal or rust.
- If your child’s healthcare provider sees a foreign body, he or she may remove it with a small cotton applicator or saline.
- If your child’s healthcare provider can’t remove the foreign body or if your child is in a lot of pain, your child may need to see an eye healthcare provider.
- Your child will need follow-up care with his or her healthcare provider after the foreign body is taken out.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23759Don’t Overcook Your Meat!
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
23710The Carnivore’s Dilemma – A Diet of Just Meats and Fats?
1285Hostess gift ideas for baby shower
3873Rainforest baby shower ideas
110Baby shower guest book ideas
2089Baby shower easy food ideas
2997Baby shower charades word ideas
2905Gift ideas for hostess of baby shower
2391332 Best Toys and Gift Ideas for 4 year old girls in 2018
172Winter baby shower ideas
2709Baby shower gift basket ideas for guests
2849Wishing well ideas for baby shower
1395Baby shower for a girl ideas
2803Yellow and white baby shower ideas
1365Unique baby shower favor ideas
1052Baby shower craft ideas for guests
25537Protected: 41 best toys and gifts for 13-year-old boys in 2018
3651Decorating baby shower ideas
1929Baby shower table ideas boy
1241Baby boy shower invitation ideas