What is fetal monitoring?
In pregnancy and during labor, your healthcare provider will want to check the health of your unborn baby (fetus). This is done by checking the baby’s heart rate and other functions. Fetal monitoring is a very common procedure.
Monitoring can be done in 2 ways. It can be done on the outside of your belly (external monitoring). Or it can be done directly on the baby while inside your uterus (internal monitoring):
- External monitoring. This may be done with a special tool called a fetoscope. It’s a stethoscope that has a different shape. It may also be done using Doppler. This is an electronic tool that uses sound waves and a computer.
- Internal monitoring. A small sticky pad (electrode) is put on your baby’s head while he or she is inside your uterus.
Fetal heart rate monitoring is used to check the rate and rhythm of the heartbeats. It looks for any increases or decreases in the baby’s heartbeat. It also checks how much the baby’s heart rate changes. The average fetal heart rate is between 110 and 160 beats per minute. The fetal heart rate may change as the baby responds to conditions in the uterus. An abnormal fetal heart rate or pattern may mean that the baby is not getting enough oxygen or there are other problems. An abnormal pattern also may mean that an emergency cesarean section (C-section) delivery is needed.
Why might I need fetal monitoring?
Using a handheld Doppler device to listen to the fetal heartbeat is the most basic type of fetal monitoring. This is often done during prenatal visits to count the fetal heart rate.
What are the risks of fetal monitoring?
There are no known physical risks for external monitoring with a fetoscope or Doppler. There may be a slight risk of infection with internal monitoring. The scalp electrode may also cause a mark or small cut on the baby’s head. But this often heals quickly.
An abnormal fetal heart rate pattern doesn’t always mean the baby is in danger. But electronic fetal monitoring is linked to a greater chance for vacuum and forceps use, and for C-section delivery. Talk with your healthcare provider about these risks.
How do I get ready for fetal monitoring?
For external fetal monitoring during pregnancy with a Doppler, you may need to have a full bladder. There is no restriction of food or drink. You’ll be given a consent form to sign. Make sure to ask questions if needed.
For fetal monitoring during labor, your healthcare provider will tell you if any preparation is needed.
What happens during fetal monitoring?
The details may vary, but typical electronic fetal monitoring may go like this:
- The provider will put gel on your belly. This helps to send sound waves from your belly to the computer.
- The provider puts a device called an ultrasound probe (transducer) on your belly. It’s attached to your belly with straps. This device sends the fetal heartbeat to a recorder. The fetal heart rate is displayed on a screen. It may also be printed on special paper.
- The provider may put another device over the top of your belly with a belt. This is called an external tocodynamometer. It can record the patterns of contractions.
In some cases, you may need internal fetal monitoring for a more accurate reading of the fetal heart rate. This can only be done if your bag of waters (amniotic sac) is broken and your cervix is partly open (dilated). The provider puts a small sticky pad called a fetal scalp electrode through your open cervix. It’s attached to your baby’s scalp. The electrode is attached to a wire. The wire sends information about your baby’s heartbeat to a computer.
What happens after fetal monitoring?
After external fetal monitoring, the provider removes the straps and wipes the gel off your belly. After internal fetal heart rate monitoring, the provider checks your baby’s scalp and cleans it where the electrode was stuck.
Before you agree to the test or the procedure make sure you know:
- The name of the test or procedure
- The reason you are having the test or procedure
- What results to expect and what they mean
- The risks and benefits of the test or procedure
- What the possible side effects or complications are
- When and where you are to have the test or procedure
- Who will do the test or procedure and what that person’s qualifications are
- What would happen if you did not have the test or procedure
- Any alternative tests or procedures to think about
- When and how will you get the results
- Who to call after the test or procedure if you have questions or problems
- How much will you have to pay for the test or procedure
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
3321Candy buffet baby shower ideas
2339Boy baby shower invitation ideas
1577Baby shower fruit basket ideas
23772Cure Candida, Yeast Infections, and Bacterial Vaginosis With Diet
3503Baby shower diaper ideas gifts
3679Ideas for baby showers games
3627Afternoon tea ideas for baby shower
1289Baby shower cake ideas for a girl
2289Winnie the pooh baby shower favor ideas
200Baby shower gift bag ideas
1467Baby shower ideas for twin boys
182Monkey baby shower ideas
4281Baby shower favors ideas cheap
548Christmas baby shower ideas
4185Baby shower favors ideas homemade
2727Baby shower diaper centerpiece ideas
1046Ideas para baby shower decoracion
1144Ideas for places to have a baby shower