What is fetal echocardiography?
Fetal echocardiography (echo) uses sound waves to check the heart of your developing baby.
Fetal echo can help find heart defects before birth. If a heart problem can be found early, the the more likely treatment will work. This is because:
Why might I need fetal echo?
Healthcare providers recommend fetal echo in these cases:
- Another child was born with a heart defect
- Family history of genetic heart problems
- Genetic problem found in the fetus
- You are taking certain medicines that may cause congenital heart defects. These medicines include certain medicines for seizures or acne.
- You have abused alcohol or drugs during your pregnancy
- You have certain health problems such as diabetes, lupus, or phenylketonuria
- You have had certain infections during your pregnancy. These include German measles (rubella) or cytomegalovirus.
- You had abnormal test results from other tests
- You conceived by assisted reproductive technology
- Your baby was noted to have too fast, slow, or irregular heart beats on exam
- Abnormalities seen on fetal ultrasound
What are the risks of fetal echo?
Fetal echo does not have any risks for either the fetus or mother. The lowest possible ultrasound settings are used.
How do I get ready for fetal echo?
You don’t need to do anything to get ready for fetal echo. Plan for 30 minutes to 2 hours for the test.
What happens during fetal echo?
A specially trained pediatric cardiologist, maternal-fetal specialist, obstetrician, or radiologist does fetal echo. In general, the steps include:
- You will lie on an exam table. You won’t likely need to change your clothes.
- The provider will put gel on your belly.
- The provider will use an electronic device called a transducer that sends out sound waves.
- He or she will move the transducer around to get the best images of the fetal heart. You may feel pressure as the transducer moves over your belly.
- Once the exam is complete, the gel is wiped off.
What happens after fetal echo?
Your healthcare provider will look at the results. He or she may order more tests or procedures. They may include:
- Treatment. This may be medicine or procedures to treat fetal heart problems.
- Fetal wellness assessments. To check overall fetal health, you may be asked to count fetal movements.
- Nonstress test. This checks fetal heart rate and movement.
- Biophysical profile (BPP). This is an ultrasound exam to check overall fetal health. It checks heart rate, breathing, movement, muscle tone, and the amount of amniotic fluid.
- Ultrasounds or echocardiography. These are tests done to confirm the diagnosis. They also follow fetal growth, watch for fetal heart changes, and check for other problems.
- Amniocentesis. This test can find chromosomal and genetic disorders and certain birth defects. The healthcare provider puts a needle through the abdominal and uterine wall and into the amniotic sac. He or she takes a sample of amniotic fluid.
- Genetic counseling. A counselor helps you learn your risks of having a baby with genetic defects.
Before you agree to the test or the procedure make sure you know:
- The name of the test or procedure
- The reason you are having the test or procedure
- What results to expect and what they mean
- The risks and benefits of the test or procedure
- What the possible side effects or complications are
- When and where you are to have the test or procedure
- Who will do the test or procedure and what that person’s qualifications are
- What would happen if you did not have the test or procedure
- Any alternative tests or procedures to think about
- When and how will you get the results
- Who to call after the test or procedure if you have questions or problems
- How much will you have to pay for the test or procedure
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
2361Pinterest baby girl shower ideas
1767Dollar store baby shower ideas
3395Gifts ideas for baby shower
4105Baby shower cakes for girls ideas
2825Monkey baby shower cake ideas
1403Party favors ideas for baby shower
1401Baby boy shower ideas pinterest
864Cute ideas for baby shower
3781Gift ideas for baby shower boy
3605Baby decoration ideas for shower
918Baby shower favor ideas to make yourself
3839Vintage baby showers ideas
2909Gift wrap ideas for baby shower
22658Week 34 of Pregnancy – The Sound of Lullabies
1405Ideas for baby shower boy
1215January baby shower ideas
3629Baby shower ideas baby boy
3799Baby shower decor ideas for a girl