Eyelid Lacerations in Children
What are eyelid lacerations in children?
Eyelid lacerations are cuts to the eyelid. They are caused by trauma.
What causes eyelid lacerations in a child?
The most common causes in children include dog bites and handlebar injuries. They also include collisions with sharp objects while running. Sharp objects can include sticks, thorns, retail display hooks, and nails.
In teens, the most common causes include trauma from fist fights, eye gouging, and ball sports.
Which children are at risk for eyelid lacerations?
Males are more likely to get this injury than females.
What are the symptoms of eyelid lacerations in a child?
Symptoms can happen a bit differently in each child.
Some lacerations only affect the eyelid. Your child’s only symptom may be bleeding. Other lacerations may affect the eye itself.
Your child should see a healthcare provider right away if he or she has any signs of an eyelid laceration.
How are eyelid lacerations diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will look closely at your child’s eye to check for damage. Your child may need to see an eye healthcare provider for further evaluation.
How are eyelid lacerations treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
If your child’s healthcare provider says the laceration is simple, he or she will stitch (suture) it. Before your child gets stitches, he or she may need local numbing medicine (anesthetic drops) in the eye. The anesthetic may also be injected into surrounding tissue. Younger or uncooperative children may need medicine to calm them (sedation) or general anesthesia before getting stitches.
If your child has a large laceration, he or she will need to be checked by an eye healthcare provider. Your child may also need to see an eye healthcare provider if the laceration affects his or her eye.
If your child has a full-thickness lid laceration, he or she may need plastic surgery. This is done if the laceration affected your child’s eye muscles or other parts of the eye.
Key points about eyelid lacerations in children
- Eyelid lacerations are cuts to the eyelid. They are caused by trauma.
- The most common causes in children include dog bites and handlebar injuries. They also include collisions with sharp objects while running.
- Your child may need stitches.
- If your child has a larger laceration or if it affects his or her eye, your child may need to see an eye healthcare provider.
- In severe cases, your child may need plastic surgery. This is done if your child has a full-thickness lid laceration.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
1695Baby shower gift ideas for a girl
3283Ideas for a baby shower gift
360Baby shower giveaway ideas
2407Baby shower candies ideas
3395Gifts ideas for baby shower
2359337 Best Toys & Gifts For 3-Year-Old Girls In 2018
23792Primal Pizza, Rolls, and Crackers
3725Baby shower bee theme ideas
1935Baby shower favors ideas to make
3735Duck baby shower theme ideas
1281Baby shower games and activities ideas
23812Emotional Development Milestones by 2 to 4 months
3153Safari theme baby shower food ideas
1895Balloon ideas for baby showers
3709Dr seuss baby shower favor ideas
534Baby girl shower food ideas
23815Emotional Development Milestones 8 to 10 months
23771Getting In Shape After Pregnancy