Exstrophy of the Bladder and Epispadias in Children
What is exstrophy of the bladder and epispadias in children?
Exstrophy of the bladder is when a baby’s bladder has grown inside out and is sticking through the wall of the belly (abdomen). The bladder can be seen in the front of the child’s lower belly. It is a rare condition. It involves problems with how the urinary tract, muscles, bones, and the digestive system grew in the womb.
Epispadias is a problem often seen with exstrophy of the bladder. It is when the opening of the tube that carries urine out of the body (the urethra) is in the wrong place. In a baby boy, the opening is usually on the top of the penis. Instead, the opening may be the whole length of the penis. In a girl, the opening may also be longer, and higher in the urethra. It may open right next to the bladder.
How to say it
What causes exstrophy of the bladder and epispadias in a child?
Doctors don’t know what causes these problems.
What are the symptoms of exstrophy of the bladder and epispadias in a child?
The disorder varies from mild to severe. A child with exstrophy of the bladder may have a triangle-shaped opening in the abdomen where the bladder can be seen. The bladder will look bright pink. A boy may also have a short, small penis with a urethral opening along the top of the penis (epispadias). A girl may also have a narrow vaginal opening, a wide labia, and a short urethra.
In many cases, a child with exstrophy of the bladder may also have these problems:
- Widened pubic bones
- Legs and feet that are turned outward
- Abnormally-shaped abdominal muscles
- Belly button that is not in a normal place. It may be above the bladder.
- Bulging of intestine through a weak spot in the abdominal muscles (umbilical hernia)
How is exstrophy of the bladder and epispadias diagnosed in a child?
Exstrophy of the bladder can be diagnosed by fetal ultrasound before a baby is born. After the baby is born, the healthcare provider will give your child a physical exam. Your child may also have imaging tests. These are done to look at the positions of organs and other tissues.
How is exstrophy of the bladder and epispadias treated in a child?
Treatment is done with surgery. There are usually 3 stages of surgery to fix the problems. They are:
- Stage 1. This surgery may be done when your baby is as young as 48 hours old. The bladder is put inside the body, and the abdomen is closed.
- Stage 2. This surgery may be done as early as 6 months of age. It involves repairing the epispadias and other genital problems.
- Stage 3. This surgery is done at around age 4 to 5 years. This is when the bladder is large enough. And it’s an age when a child is ready to stay dry. This final surgery rebuilds the urinary tract, including the bladder and tubes.
Talk with your child’s healthcare providers about the risks, benefits, and possible side effects of all treatments.
What are possible complications of exstrophy of the bladder and epispadias in a child?
Even with surgery, a child may not be able to control his or her urine (urinary incontinence). Newer surgery methods make it possible for most children to control their urine over time. But a child may have long-term damage to the urinary tract and kidneys. In some cases, the problem may also cause loss of fertility in the future. This means that when the child is an adult, it may be difficult to have children.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call the healthcare provider if your child has:
- Symptoms that don’t get better, or get worse
- New symptoms
Key points about exstrophy of the bladder and epispadias in children
- Exstrophy of the bladder is when a baby’s bladder has grown inside out and is sticking through the wall of the belly (abdomen). The bladder can be seen in the front of the child’s lower belly.
- Epispadias is a problem often seen with exstrophy of the bladder. It is when the opening of tube that carries urine out of the body (the urethra) is in the wrong place.
- A child with exstrophy of the bladder may have a triangle-shaped opening in the abdomen where the bladder is visible. The bladder will look bright pink.
- Treatment is done with surgery. There are usually 3 stages of surgery to repair the problems.
- Even with surgery, a child may not be able to control his or her urine (urinary incontinence). There may also be long-term damage to the urinary tract and kidneys.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2320929 Best Toys and Gift Ideas for 1 year old girls in 2018
278Twins baby shower ideas
2025Baby shower gift ideas for boy
23755Red Bell Pepper Sandwich
1132Baby shower game ideas for a girl
106Baby shower gift ideas for boys
3293Baby shower beach theme ideas
3811Baby showers cake ideas
2551Baby boy shower gifts ideas
2355Baby shower seating ideas
2617Boy baby shower favors ideas
706Baby shower table decoration ideas
4271Baby shower nappy cake ideas
1311Candy buffet ideas for baby shower
374Sprinkle baby shower ideas
1227Ideas for baby shower for a boy
990Baby shower gift bags ideas
1773Ladybug themed baby shower ideas