Exercise Electrocardiogram (ECG) Testing for Children
What is an exercise electrocardiogram test for children?
Electrocardiography (ECG) is a simple, fast test to check the electrical activity and general function of your child’s heart as blood moves through it. Abnormal ECG results may mean there is a problem with your child’s heart.
An exercise ECG checks the electrical activity during exercise on a treadmill or stationary bike. This test is seldom done on young children. But it may be very useful in teens and young adults.
Why might my child need an exercise ECG?
Your child’s healthcare provider may want to do an exercise ECG if your child was born with or has symptoms of a heart problem. It may also be advised if your child has an irregular heart rhythm or changes in a resting ECG.
What are the risks of an exercise ECG for a child?
Most children have very low risk for problems with exercise ECG testing.
How do I get my child ready for an exercise ECG?
Have you child wear shoes and comfortable clothing so he or she will be able to exercise during the test.
What happens during an exercise ECG for a child?
The test is done in a healthcare provider’s office, hospital, or another place. The equipment used includes an ECG machine, electrodes, and wires. The wires connect the electrodes to the ECG machine. A blood pressure cuff is also used to check your child’s blood pressure during exercise. Your child will exercise on a treadmill or stationary bike.
Exercise ECG testing usually follows these steps:
- Your child will have a “baseline” ECG and blood pressure readings before starting to exercise.
- He or she will walk on the treadmill or pedal the bike.
- During the test, your child may need to exercise harder.
- His or her heart, blood pressure, and symptoms are watched closely.
- Your child will be asked to exercise to the best of his or her ability.
- After the exercise, your child’s heart and blood pressure are checked for a short time, perhaps for 10 to 15 minutes.
The test will take about an hour, including check-in, preparation, and the test.
What happens after an exercise ECG for a child?
Your child may feel a little tired or sore after the test, particularly if he or she is not used to exercising. Otherwise, your child should feel normal after the test.
Depending on the results of the exercise ECG, your child’s healthcare provider may order more tests.
Before you agree to the test or the procedure for your child make sure you know:
- The name of the test or procedure
- The reason your child is having the test or procedure
- What results to expect and what they mean
- The risks and benefits of the test or procedure
- When and where your child is to have the test or procedure
- Who will do the procedure and what that person’s qualifications are
- What would happen if your child did not have the test or procedure
- Any alternative tests or procedures to think about
- When and how will you get the results
- Who to call after the test or procedure if you have questions or your child has problems
- How much will you have to pay for the test or procedure
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
1653Unique baby shower decorating ideas
4035Centerpiece ideas for baby showers
1983Baby showers favors ideas
1985Baby shower basket gift ideas
1907Vase centerpiece ideas for baby shower
1981Dr seuss thing 1 and thing 2 baby shower ideas
286Homemade baby shower decoration ideas
2767Ideas baby shower favors
3759Ideas for girls baby shower
21279Week 17 – He’s a Kicker!
1979Pinterest baby shower ideas for girl
2607Ladybug baby shower centerpiece ideas
1987Unique boy baby shower ideas
3469Baby shower invitation ideas for boys
2035Cute baby shower gift basket ideas
1397Baby shower centerpiece ideas for tables
2455Baby shower ideas for second baby
80Food ideas for baby shower