Electrocardiography for Children
What is electrocardiography (ECG) for children?
Electrocardiography (ECG) is a simple, fast test to check the electrical activity of your child’s heart as blood moves through it. Abnormal ECG results may mean there is a problem with your child’s heart.
Why might my child need an ECG?
Some conditions which may cause changes in the ECG pattern include:
- An enlarged heart. Conditions such as heart defects present at birth (congenital), problems with heart valves, high blood pressure, or heart failure may cause an enlarged heart.
- Ischemia. This means the heart muscle is deprived of oxygen due to fatty buildup in the arteries, preventing adequate blood flow.
- Conduction disorders. This means a problem with the heart’s electrical system. The heart may beat too fast, too slow, or at an uneven rate.
- Abnormal electrolytes. This means having too much or too little of some minerals (electrolytes) in the blood. The minerals include potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
- Pericarditis. This is an inflammation or infection of the sac that surrounds the heart.
- Chest injury. This could be from a car accident.
An ECG may also be done for other reasons. For example, the healthcare provider might want to look for problems during a checkup or physical exam, or before surgery or another procedure.
What are the risks of an ECG for a child?
There are no risks associated with ECG. Some children may have a reaction to the adhesive used to attach the ECG leads.
How do I get my child ready for an ECG?
Your child does not need to do anything special for an ECG. The technician will explain how the test is done.
What happens during an ECG for a child?
An ECG can be done almost anywhere. The equipment is very compact and portable. The equipment used includes the ECG machine, skin electrodes, and lead wires. The wires attach the electrodes to the ECG machine.
An ECG takes about 5 to 10 minutes, including attaching and detaching electrodes.
An ECG typically includes the following steps:
- Your child will lie flat on a table or bed. He or she will need to lie still and not talk during the procedure. Parents can usually be present in the room.
- The ECG technician will attach small plastic patches (electrodes) to your child’s chest. One electrode will be attached to each arm and leg.
- The lead wires will be attached to the electrodes.
- The ECG machine is started. It will take only a few minutes for the test to be completed.
- Once the test is done, the technician will disconnect the leads and remove the electrodes.
What happens after an ECG for a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will look at the results. Depending on the results, your child’s provider may order more tests or refer you to a pediatric cardiologist. This is a doctor with special training to treat heart problems in children.
Before you agree to the test or the procedure for your child make sure you know:
- The name of the test or procedure
- The reason your child is having the test or procedure
- What results to expect and what they mean
- The risks and benefits of the test or procedure
- When and where your child is to have the test or procedure
- Who will do the procedure and what that person’s qualifications are
- What would happen if your child did not have the test or procedure
- Any alternative tests or procedures to think about
- When and how will you get the results
- Who to call after the test or procedure if you have questions or your child has problems
- How much will you have to pay for the test or procedure
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
3903Ice cream baby shower ideas
790Baby shower lunch menu ideas
2649Girl baby shower cakes ideas
4081Cheap baby shower centerpieces ideas
2803Yellow and white baby shower ideas
2723Cheap centerpiece ideas for baby shower
3345Baby shower ideas gift
4165Baby shower games for girls ideas
4107Ladybug baby shower favors ideas
706Baby shower table decoration ideas
3747Unique baby shower cakes ideas
306Under the sea baby shower ideas
346Mason jar baby shower ideas
1194Ideas for baby shower for girl
23712If You Think Kids Can’t Make Big Diet Changes, Think Again!
3985Baby shower favors ideas diy
3595Gift ideas for mum to be at baby shower
1825Fancy baby shower ideas