Dermoid Cyst in Children
What are dermoid cysts in children?
A dermoid cyst is a pocket or hole under the skin. It contains tissue normally found in the outer layers of the skin. This might be hair follicles, oil, and sweat glands. Oil and sweat collect inside the cyst, causing it to get larger.
A dermoid cyst may appear at birth or soon after. But often it is not seen until years later. Dermoid cysts are usually found on the head, neck, or face. They can also occur on other parts of the body.
What causes a dermoid cyst in a child?
A dermoid cyst is present from birth (congenital). It happens when the skin layers do not grow together as they should during the early stages of an embryo’s development.
What are the symptoms of a dermoid cyst in a child?
A dermoid cyst looks like a small lump under the skin. The skin over the lump can easily be moved. The lump may be skin-colored, or may have a slight blue color.
The symptoms of a dermoid cyst can be like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a dermoid cyst diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will usually diagnose a dermoid cyst based on what it looks like and where it is. He or she will look at the cyst and surrounding area. Your child may need imaging tests to find out if the cyst is connected to other tissue in the head and neck. Tests may include:
- X-ray. The provider may order Images of the head, neck, face, or other area where the cyst is located.
- CT scan. X-ray and a computer are used to make detailed images of any part of the body.
- MRI. Large magnets, radio waves, and a computer make detailed images of organs and structures within the body.
How is a dermoid cyst treated in a child?
The most common treatment is surgery to cut out the cyst. Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
What are the complications of a dermoid cyst in a child?
Depending on where the cyst is located, it can cause problems. For example, a dermoid cyst near the eye may affect your child’s eyesight. But this is uncommon. Cysts also can:
- Damage nearby bone
- Cause infections
- Cause a child to be embarrassed or uncomfortable
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call your child’s healthcare provider if you notice any lumps or bumps on your child.
Key points about dermoid cysts in children
- A dermoid cyst is present from birth. It happens when the skin layers do not grow together as they should during the early stages of an embryo’s development.
- Dermoid cysts are usually found on the head, neck, or face. But they can occur anywhere on the body.
- Dermoid cysts appear as small, often painless, lumps.
- Dermoid cysts are usually diagnosed by what they look like and where they are located.
- Treatment is often surgery to remove the cyst.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
2969Decoration baby shower ideas
782Baby boy shower cakes ideas
2241Baby boy baby shower decorating ideas
3665Cat and the hat baby shower ideas
1887Baby boy baby shower themes ideas
2395Sweet pea baby shower ideas
2671Gift ideas for baby shower hosts
3711Baby shower gifts ideas for boy
698Baby shower ideas boys
1629Funny baby shower game ideas
1541Lion king baby shower cake ideas
1297Welcome home baby shower ideas
778Monkey themed baby shower ideas
1128Pinterest baby boy shower ideas
3579Luncheon menu ideas for baby shower
2911Baby shower gift ideas dad
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
3769Baby shower ideas perth