What is cradle cap?
Cradle cap (infant seborrheic dermatitis) is scaly patches on a baby’s scalp. Cradle cap isn’t serious, but it can cause thick crusting and white or yellow scales. Some babies can also have seborrheic dermatitis in the diaper area, and on the face, neck, and trunk. Cradle cap usually clears up within the first year.
What causes cradle cap?
Researchers don’t know the exact cause of this skin condition. It is not contagious. It is not an infection or allergy. It is not caused by poor hygiene.
Which children are at risk for cradle cap?
Babies between the ages of 3 weeks and 12 months are at greater risk of getting cradle cap.
What are the symptoms of cradle cap?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child. They can include dry or greasy scales on the scalp. The scalp may also appear red. It usually does not itch or cause the baby discomfort.
How is cradle cap diagnosed?
Cradle cap is usually diagnosed based on a physical exam of your child. The rash involved with cradle cap is unique. It can usually be diagnosed by a physical exam.
How is cradle cap treated?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The problem will go away on its own over time. But most parents prefer treatment because it usually helps reduce or get rid of the problem. Even with treatment, the problem may come back during the baby’s first year of life. Treatment is usually effective in helping symptoms. It may include:
- Rubbing the scalp with baby oil or petroleum jelly to soften crusts before washing
- Special shampoo, as prescribed by your child’s healthcare provider
- Corticosteroid cream or lotion for a short period of time if the problem is really bad or persistent
What can I do to prevent cradle cap in my child?
Cradle cap is common in young babies and does not point to poor hygiene or lack of care. The following may help prevent the buildup of scales on the scalp:
- Use a soft bristled brush to gently remove the scales from the scalp.
- Shampoo baby’s hair often.
- Apply baby oil to the scalp after shampooing.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Most cases of cradle cap can be treated at home. If the problem doesn’t get better, you may ask your healthcare provider to prescribe an appropriate shampoo or cream. If the problem still does not get better with the prescribed medicine, tell your healthcare provider.
Key points about cradle cap
- Cradle cap is scaly patches on a baby’s scalp.
- Babies between ages 3 weeks and 12 months are at greater risk of getting cradle cap.
- The problem will go away over time.
- Most cases of cradle cap can be treated at home by using a soft-bristled brush, frequent shampooing, and applying baby oil.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
2173Easy baby shower cake ideas
432Baby shower activity ideas
4087Baby shower party favours ideas
3055Baby shower ideas pictures
3115Guest book baby shower ideas
2641Baby shower video ideas
3851Cool ideas for baby shower
3525Baby shower themes and ideas
2569Party favors baby shower ideas
1615Baby shower snack food ideas
2509Baby shower ideas owl theme
1633Unique baby shower centerpiece ideas
450Boy baby shower theme ideas
21720Week 23 of Pregnancy – The Big Listener
4145Baby girl shower game ideas
1377Baby shower ideas for dads
658Duck themed baby shower ideas
2687Baby shower games prizes ideas