Corneal Abrasions in Children
What are corneal abrasions in children?
A corneal abrasion is a scratch or scrape on the cornea. This is the clear, dome-shaped surface that covers the front of the eye.
What causes a corneal abrasion in a child?
There are many things that can cause an abrasion to your child’s cornea. The more common causes include:
- Foreign bodies in the eye. These include dirt, pebbles, and insects.
- Scratch from a toy or fingernail
- Contact lenses that don’t fit or aren’t cared for well. This may occur in older children.
When these objects come into contact with the surface of your child’s eye, they can cause an abrasion.
Which children are at risk for corneal abrasion?
This condition is a common injury in children.
What are the symptoms of a corneal abrasion in a child?
Symptoms can happen a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- Pain and redness in the eye
- Tearing of that eye
- Pain when your child looks at a light
- Much blinking in the affected eye
- Holding the eye shut. A younger child may be more likely to do this.
The symptoms of corneal abrasion may look like symptoms of other eye issues or health problems. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a corneal abrasion diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an eye exam. Your child may receive local numbing (anesthetic) eye drops for the exam.
Your child’s healthcare provider may also order a fluorescein stain. For this test, your child’s healthcare provider will place a small amount of a dye into your child’s eye. This won’t hurt your child. Then, your child’s healthcare provider will use a special light to look at the surface of the cornea to see an abrasion or scratch.
How is a corneal abrasion treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Most corneal abrasions heal quickly. They usually don’t cause any permanent damage to the eye. Your child’s treatment may include the following.
Removal of the foreign body
If your child’s healthcare provider sees a foreign body, he or she may remove it. He or she may use a small cotton applicator to do this. Or he or she may wash your child’s eye out with saline.
Your child may get an antibiotic ointment or steroid eye drop for his or her eye.
An eye patch
An eye patch can make your child more comfortable. Your child may need to wear the patch for 12 to 24 hours.
Evaluation by an eye healthcare provider
If your child has a severe abrasion or cut to the cornea, he or she has a higher risk for eye damage. He or she may need to see an eye care healthcare provider.
Your child will need follow-up care with his or her healthcare provider to make sure the abrasion fully heals. Make sure your child doesn’t rub his or her eyes. This can make the abrasion worse.
What can I do to prevent corneal abrasions?
Abrasions can often be prevented. Your child should wear protective eyewear when doing activities that put his or her eyes at risk, such as during sports.
Key points about a corneal abrasion in children
- A corneal abrasion is a scratch or scrape to the cornea.
- Most corneal abrasions heal quickly. They usually don’t cause any permanent damage to the eye.
- Treatment may include removing a foreign body from the eye, medicine, or wearing an eye patch.
- Make sure your child doesn’t rub his or her eyes. This can make the abrasion worse.
- Abrasions can often be prevented. Your child should wear protective eyewear when doing activities that put his or her eyes at risk.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2035Cute baby shower gift basket ideas
566Baby shower decoration ideas for a boy
1245Lavender baby shower ideas
1319Do it yourself baby shower ideas
2751Baby shower ideas favors
3983Ideas for baby shower invites
1917Cute baby shower wrapping ideas
1259Baby shower balloon decorations ideas
2487Baby shower favor idea
2639Baby shower favor bag ideas
2871Indoor baby shower ideas
698Baby shower ideas boys
2043Pinterest ideas for baby shower
3627Afternoon tea ideas for baby shower
3097Easy baby shower favor ideas
1413Cute baby shower favor ideas
1691Jungle theme baby shower centerpiece ideas
164Ideas for a baby shower