Congenital Limb Defect in Children
What is a congenital limb defect in children?
A congenital limb defect is when an arm or leg doesn’t form normally as a baby grows in the uterus. The baby is born with the defect.
What causes a congenital limb defect in a child?
The exact cause of this type of defect is not known.
Which children are at risk for a congenital limb defect?
Certain things may increase the chances of this health problem. These include:
- Conditions that affect the baby in the uterus as it grows. These include genetic abnormalities, growth restriction, and mechanical forces.
- Exposure by the mother to chemicals or viruses while pregnant
- Certain medicines
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
What are the symptoms of a congenital limb defect in a child?
A child with a congenital limb defect has an arm or leg that hasn’t formed normally. The most common of these defects are:
- No limb at all
- Part of the limb doesn’t separate, often seen in fingers or toes
- Duplication, often seen as extra fingers or toes
- The limb is much larger than the normal limb (overgrowth)
- The limb is much smaller than the normal limb (undergrowth)
How is a congenital limb defect diagnosed in a child?
The diagnosis of a congenital limb defect is made at birth. It may be linked to other bone conditions or syndromes. Always talk with your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a congenital limb defect treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The overall goal for treatment is to give your child a limb that works and looks right. Treatment goals can vary for each child. They may include:
- Helping your child grow and develop
- Helping your child feel a sense of independence
- Encouraging self-care
- Improving how the limb looks
There is no standard treatment for a congenital limb defect. Treatment choices may include:
- Artificial limbs (prosthetics)
- Splints or braces (orthotics)
- Rehabilitation, such as physical or occupational therapy
Key points about a congenital limb defect in children
- A congenital limb defect is when an arm or leg doesn’t form normally as a baby grows in the uterus.
- The exact cause of a congenital limb defect is not known.
- Certain things may increase the chances of a child being born with such a defect. These include gene problems or exposure to some viruses or chemicals.
- Treatment depends on the type of congenital limb defect. It may include an artificial limb, surgery, or rehab.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
3251Baby shower finger food ideas pinterest
3399Baby shower party favor ideas for boys
2475Decorating ideas for baby shower boy
2589Boy baby shower table decoration ideas
3005Surprise baby shower invitation wording ideas
243817 Best books for baby girls
3877Cute baby shower decorating ideas
914Baby shower centerpiece idea
1507February baby shower ideas
950Nautical baby shower centerpiece ideas
2803Yellow and white baby shower ideas
942Baby shower gift wrap ideas
23821Why Nutritious Diet is Very Important for Your Family
2427Good baby shower ideas
2097Balloon decoration ideas for baby shower
4101Clever baby shower ideas
1371Decorating ideas for a baby shower
844Cat in the hat baby shower ideas