Congenital Limb Defect in Children
What is a congenital limb defect in children?
A congenital limb defect is when an arm or leg doesn’t form normally as a baby grows in the uterus. The baby is born with the defect.
What causes a congenital limb defect in a child?
The exact cause of this type of defect is not known.
Which children are at risk for a congenital limb defect?
Certain things may increase the chances of this health problem. These include:
- Conditions that affect the baby in the uterus as it grows. These include genetic abnormalities, growth restriction, and mechanical forces.
- Exposure by the mother to chemicals or viruses while pregnant
- Certain medicines
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
What are the symptoms of a congenital limb defect in a child?
A child with a congenital limb defect has an arm or leg that hasn’t formed normally. The most common of these defects are:
- No limb at all
- Part of the limb doesn’t separate, often seen in fingers or toes
- Duplication, often seen as extra fingers or toes
- The limb is much larger than the normal limb (overgrowth)
- The limb is much smaller than the normal limb (undergrowth)
How is a congenital limb defect diagnosed in a child?
The diagnosis of a congenital limb defect is made at birth. It may be linked to other bone conditions or syndromes. Always talk with your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a congenital limb defect treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The overall goal for treatment is to give your child a limb that works and looks right. Treatment goals can vary for each child. They may include:
- Helping your child grow and develop
- Helping your child feel a sense of independence
- Encouraging self-care
- Improving how the limb looks
There is no standard treatment for a congenital limb defect. Treatment choices may include:
- Artificial limbs (prosthetics)
- Splints or braces (orthotics)
- Rehabilitation, such as physical or occupational therapy
Key points about a congenital limb defect in children
- A congenital limb defect is when an arm or leg doesn’t form normally as a baby grows in the uterus.
- The exact cause of a congenital limb defect is not known.
- Certain things may increase the chances of a child being born with such a defect. These include gene problems or exposure to some viruses or chemicals.
- Treatment depends on the type of congenital limb defect. It may include an artificial limb, surgery, or rehab.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
288Boy baby shower food ideas
2859Zoo baby shower ideas
3325Handmade baby shower invitations ideas
46Baby shower invitation ideas
158Baby shower banner ideas
1237Unique girl baby shower ideas
884Long distance baby shower ideas
3151Baby shower game ideas for girls
1483Girl baby shower invitation ideas
2135Photo booth baby shower ideas
2983Simple baby shower game ideas
2735Baby shower ideas at home
4107Ladybug baby shower favors ideas
2061Ideas originales para baby shower
4265Winter wonderland themed baby shower ideas
130Ready to pop baby shower ideas
930Cute baby shower decoration ideas
3059Easy baby shower decoration ideas