Congenital Laryngeal Stridor in Children
What is congenital laryngeal stridor?
Congenital laryngeal stridor is a noisy or high-pitched sound with breathing. It is from an abnormally formed voice box (larynx). It is present at birth (congenital).
What causes congenital laryngeal stridor?
Congenital laryngeal stridor is the most common cause of noisy breathing (stridor) in babies. During the baby’s development, the larynx may not fully develop. As a result, part of the larynx is weak. This causes the larynx to close part of the way during breathing.
What are the symptoms of congenital laryngeal stridor?
The main symptom is the stridor that is heard as the baby breathes. It is best heard when a baby breathes in. It can also be heard when the baby breaths out.
- Changes with activity
- Is present during eating, sleeping, or excitement
- Is usually less noisy when the baby is lying on his or her belly
- Gets worse if the baby has an upper respiratory infection, like a cough or cold
The symptoms of congenital laryngeal stridor can be like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is congenital laryngeal stridor diagnosed?
The healthcare provider will ask about your baby’s symptoms and health history. He or she will give your baby a physical exam. The provider may refer you to an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist. Your baby may need diagnostic tests such as laryngoscopy. This is a test to look at the larynx.
How is congenital laryngeal stridor treated?
In most cases, congenital laryngeal stridor is a harmless condition that goes away on its own. Although not common, some babies develop severe breathing problems which need treatment. Treatment may include medicines, a hospital stay, or surgery.
Treatment will depend on your baby’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
What are the complications of congenital laryngeal stridor?
In severe cases, congenital laryngeal stridor may be a sign of a blocked airway.
Living with congenital laryngeal stridor
Your baby’s healthcare provider will recheck your baby. He or she will make sure your baby is eating well and gaining weight.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call your baby’s healthcare provider if your baby is not eating well or growing well. Call 911 or your local emergency number if your baby has trouble breathing.
Key points about congenital laryngeal stridor
- Congenital laryngeal stridor is an abnormally formed voice box (larynx). It is present at birth (congenital).
- During the baby’s development, the larynx may not fully develop.
- The stridor is usually heard when the baby breathes in, but it can also be heard when the baby breathes out.
- Procedures to diagnose congenital laryngeal stridor may include laryngoscopy or bronchoscopy.
- In most cases, congenital laryngeal stridor is a harmless condition that goes away on its own.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
2995Baby shower favor ideas diy
3939Unique baby shower ideas pinterest
2549Funny baby shower gift ideas
1567Fall baby shower ideas themes
2485Easy food ideas for baby shower
706Baby shower table decoration ideas
3891Boy baby shower ideas for food
1359Photo booth ideas for baby shower
2425Bird baby shower ideas
3883Baby shower invite ideas wording
202Baby shower cakes ideas
3175Baby shower ideas for couples
23780Baby Food Versus Baby Bites
348Office baby shower ideas
672Pink and purple baby shower ideas
2785Best boy baby shower ideas
1080Simple baby shower food ideas
1731Unique ideas for baby shower