What is chorioamnionitis?
Chorioamnionitis [chor-y-oh-am-nee-oh-NY-tis] is an infection of the placenta and the amniotic fluid. Only a few women get it, but, it is a common cause of preterm labor and delivery.
What causes chorioamnionitis?
Chorioamnionitis is most often caused by bacteria commonly found in the vagina. It happens more often when the bag of waters (amniotic sac) is broken for a long time before birth. This lets bacteria in the vagina move up into the uterus.
Who is at risk for chorioamnionitis?
You are more likely to have this infection if:
- Your bag of waters (amniotic sac) breaks long before you actually deliver
- You have a long labor
- You have frequent vaginal exams during labor
- This is your first pregnancy
- You have a sexually transmitted infection or other vaginal infection
- You use alcohol or tobacco
- You have internal fetal monitoring
- You get epidural anesthesia during labor
- You have group B strep
What are the symptoms of chorioamnionitis?
Symptoms may be a little different for each person. They may include:
- Fast heart rate in mother and baby
- Tender or painful uterus
- A bad smell from the amniotic fluid
The symptoms of chorioamnionitis can seem like other health problems. Always see your healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is chorioamnionitis diagnosed?
Your provider will ask about your past health. He or she will give you a physical exam. He or she may be able to diagnose chorioamnionitis just by your symptoms. You may also need a lab test to check for infection.
Your healthcare provider may suggest a test called amniocentesis, although this test is not routinely done for chorioamnionitis. During this test, your healthcare provider uses a needle to take a small amount of amniotic fluid for testing.
How is chorioamnionitis treated?
Your healthcare provider will figure out the best treatment for you and your baby based on:
- Your overall health and health history
- How far along in your pregnancy you are
- How sick you are
- How well you and your baby can handle specific medicines, procedures, or therapies
- How long the condition is expected to last
- Your opinion or preference
Antibiotics are used to treat chorioamnionitis as soon as the infection is found. Your healthcare provider may encourage you to deliver your baby early. This can prevent complications for you and your baby. You may need to keep taking antibiotics after your baby is born.
What are the complications of chorioamnionitis?
Chorioamnionitis can cause a dangerous blood infection in the mother called bacteremia. This can cause the baby to be born early. It can also cause serious complications in the newborn. This includes infection (such as pneumonia or meningitis), brain damage, or death.
Can chorioamnionitis be prevented?
If your bag of waters breaks early (premature rupture of membranes), antibiotics lowers the chance of chorioamnionitis. It is also helps limit the number of vaginal exams before and during labor.
When should I call my healthcare provider?
If your membranes rupture, tell your healthcare provider right away. Other symptoms that call for urgent care include:
- Fast heart rate
- Tender or painful uterus
- Bad-smelling amniotic fluid
Key points about chorioamnionitis
- Chorioamnionitis is an infection of the placenta and the amniotic fluid.
- It happens more often when the amniotic sac is broken for a long time before birth.
- The major symptom is fever. Other symptoms include a fast heart rate, tender or painful uterus, and a bad smell from the amniotic fluid.
- Chorioamnionitis can cause complications for the mother and the baby.
- You may be given antibiotics if you have premature rupture of the membranes. This can reduce the risk for chorioamnionitis.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed, and how it will help you. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if you do not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
243817 Best books for baby girls
472Baby shower setup ideas
2485Easy food ideas for baby shower
124Baby shower ideas for boys on a budget
23796Your Childs Bedtime Routine
1048Sock monkey baby shower ideas
1891Antique baby shower ideas
4139Baby shower ideas sydney
3533Table setting ideas for baby shower
960Baby shower brunch food ideas
2359Shower food ideas baby
1122Door prize ideas for baby shower
1805Cake pop ideas for baby shower
1026Circus themed baby shower ideas
3257Baby shower cake writing ideas
1693Indian baby shower gift ideas
3555Ideas to write in a baby shower card
1186Baby shower invitations ideas for a girl