Chemical Burns of the Eye in Children
What are chemical burns of the eye in children?
Chemical burns happen when a chemical gets into your child’s eye.
What causes chemical burns of the eye in a child?
Chemical burns of the eye are often caused by household cleaning products. Some common products that cause this type of injury include:
- Toilet cleaner
- Battery fluid
- Pool cleaners
- Glass polish
What are the symptoms of chemical burns of the eye in a child?
Symptoms can happen a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- Severe pain in the eye
- Burning of the eye
- Tearing of the eye
The symptoms of chemical burns of the eye may look like symptoms of other eye issues or health problems. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a chemical burn of the eye diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an eye exam. Your child may get local numbing (anesthetic) eye drops for the exam.
How are chemical burns of the eye treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
This issue is an emergency. You should seek medical help right away if your child gets a chemical into his or her eye.
Most children with a chemical burn will be treated in the emergency room. An eye healthcare provider (ophthalmologist) will usually care for your child.
Treatment includes washing out your child’s eye with saline right away. This is done for about 30 minutes and sometimes longer depending on the type of chemical burn. Your child may get local numbing (anesthetic) drops into his or her eye to help ease the pain. The eye is usually held open with an instrument to make sure the saline gets into the eye. Some children may need to be sedated under general anesthesia.
What are the complications of chemical burns of the eye in a child?
If a chemical burn of the eye isn’t treated right away, your child could have vision loss. Your child may even lose his or her eye.
Key points about chemical burns of the eye in children
- Chemical burns happen when a chemical gets into your child’s eye. These burns are often caused by household cleaning products.
- This is an emergency. You should seek medical help right away if your child gets a chemical into his or her eye.
- Treatment includes washing your child’s eye out with saline right away. This should be done for about 30 minutes and sometimes longer depending on the type of chemical burn.
- If a chemical burn of the eye isn’t treated right away, your child could have vision loss. Your child may even lose his or her eye.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
1363Baby shower center piece ideas
402Baby boy shower gift ideas
21808Week 26 of Pregnancy – Thinking of Baby Names
1651Baby shower cheap ideas
3129Baby shower speech ideas
276Outdoor baby shower ideas
4117Easy baby shower games ideas
2623Cupcakes ideas for baby shower
218Royal baby shower ideas
2477Baby shower cake ideas for boys
2979Baby shower ideas for boy and girl twins
2392119 Pushing and pulling toys for toddlers in 2018
3029Mens baby shower ideas
2717Baby boy shower favor ideas to make
126Baby shower ideas on a budget
342Centerpiece ideas for baby shower
4045Girl owl baby shower ideas
2247Baby shower creative ideas