Chalazion in Children
What are chalazions in children?
A chalazion (kuh-LAY-zee-un) is a slow-growing, painless lump in the eyelid that forms because of the swelling of an oil gland. It’s more common in adults between ages 30 and 50 than in children.
What causes a chalazion in a child?
A chalazion is caused by a blocked oil gland in the eyelid. This can occur after a viral infection, or with a skin problem such as seborrhea or acne rosacea.
Which children are at risk for a chalazion?
A child is more at risk for a chalazion if he or she has any of these:
- Viral infection
- Acne rosacea
- Chronic blepharitis
These risk factors are more common in adults than children.
What are the symptoms of a chalazion in a child?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child. They can include:
- A small bump in the eyelid that can be felt
- Swelling of the eyelid over time
- Pain or trouble seeing if the chalazion is large
The symptoms of a chalazion can be like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is a chalazion diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and health history. He or she may also ask about your family’s health history. He or she will give your child a physical exam. Tests are not usually needed to confirm the diagnosis.
How is a chalazion treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
A small chalazion may go away on without treatment in a couple of months. A large chalazion or an infection caused by it may need to be treated. Treatment may include:
- Applying warm, moist compresses to your child’s eyes for 15 minutes at a time several times a day
- Telling your child not to rub his or her eyes or squeeze or rub the chalazion
- Having your child wash his or her hands often
- Antibiotic eye drops
If symptoms don’t get better, surgery may be needed to drain or remove the chalazion.
What are possible complications of a chalazion in a child?
If the chalazion becomes infected, the entire eyelid may become swollen and painful.
Key points about a chalazion in children
- A chalazion is a slow-growing, painless lump in the eyelid that forms because of the swelling of an oil gland.
- It’s caused by a blocked oil gland in the eyelid.
- If the chalazion becomes infected, the entire eyelid may become swollen and painful.
- A small chalazion may go away on without treatment in a couple of months.
- A large chalazion or an infection caused by it may need to be treated with warm, moist compresses and antibiotic eye drops.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
836Baby shower invitation ideas for girl
1629Funny baby shower game ideas
2455Baby shower ideas for second baby
2227Twin boys baby shower ideas
76Baby shower party favor ideas
3173Brown and blue baby shower ideas
2599Make your own baby shower invitations ideas
1118Amazing baby shower ideas
4045Girl owl baby shower ideas
3079Sheet cake baby shower ideas
1957Baby shower flyer ideas
21252nd baby shower gift ideas
26Girl baby shower ideas
1869Princess baby shower decorations ideas
2061Ideas originales para baby shower
1088Centerpieces for baby shower ideas
3539Baby girl shower idea
2067Cowboy baby shower decoration ideas