Cat Scratch Disease in Children
What is cat scratch disease in children?
Cat scratch disease is a bacterial infection carried in cat saliva. It is passed from a cat bite or scratch to a human. It can also result from a fleabite, but cats are the main source.
What causes cat scratch disease in a child?
Cat scratch disease is caused by the germ Bartonella henselae. The cat or kitten usually appears healthy. The cat licks its paws then scratches or bites the child. If your child rubs his or her eyes after petting a cat’s fur, this can also spread cat scratch disease. Young kittens less than 1 year of age are more likely to scratch. The increases the risk for infection.
What are the symptoms of cat scratch disease in a child?
The following are the most common symptoms of cat scratch disease:
- A cat bite or scratch that does not heal or worsens over time
- Painful or swollen lymph glands. These are often under the armpits or on the side of the neck.
- Flu-like symptoms, including headache, tiredness, decreased appetite, fatigue, joint pain, or fever
- Body rash
The symptoms of cat scratch disease may not appear for more than a week after the child is scratched. Sometimes the delay can be as long as 6 weeks. The symptoms may look like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is cat scratch disease diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask whether your child has had exposure to cats or kittens. He or she will look for a small bump where the cat scratch has occurred. The provider will check for any swollen lymph nodes. Lab tests are available, but many tests are not considered reliable.
How is cat scratch disease treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Cat scratch disease will usually go away without treatment. But your child may need to take antibiotic medicine.
What are the complications of cat scratch disease in a child?
Complications are not common. When they happen, they may include problems with the nervous system, body organs, or eyes.
What can I do to prevent cat scratch disease in my child?
Do not let your child play roughly with cats or kittens. Doing so can increase the chances of a scratch or bite. If your child does get a cat bite or scratch, wash the area right away with soap and water.
Cat owners should use products to prevent fleas.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call your child’s healthcare provider if your child develops swollen lymph nodes after being scratched or bitten by a cat.
Key points about cat scratch disease in children
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
38Baby shower decorating ideas
2277Baby shower ideas and games
1279Baby showers ideas for a boy
3695Punch bowl ideas for baby shower
156Ladybug baby shower ideas
468Gender neutral baby shower ideas
1789Centerpiece ideas for girl baby shower
998Baby shower diy ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
23709An Unconventional Approach to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)
2351Baby shower gift ideas for a boy
21206Week 9 – He’s My Cherry Pie!
30Ideas para baby shower
2415Baby shower treats ideas
4117Easy baby shower games ideas
3769Baby shower ideas perth
268Baby shower chair ideas
788Unisex baby shower ideas