Canker Sores (Aphthous Ulcers) in Children
What are canker sores in children?
Canker sores (aphthous ulcers) are small sores inside the mouth. They are often found inside the lips, on the cheeks, or on the tongue.
What causes canker sores in a child?
The exact cause is not known. But many factors are thought to be involved with the development of canker sores. These are:
- Weakened immune system
- Allergies to food, such as coffee, chocolate, cheese, nuts, and citrus fruits
- Viruses and bacteria
- Injury to the mouth
- Poor nutrition
- Certain medicines
- Irritation from orthodontic braces
Canker sores are usually first seen in children and teens from the ages of 10 to 19. For about 3 in 10 children affected, canker sores come back for years after the first outbreak. They can’t be spread from one child to another.
Canker sores that keep coming back may be related to celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, or HIV infection.
What are the symptoms of canker sores in a child?
Each child may feel symptoms a bit differently. Below are the most common symptoms of aphthous stomatitis:
- Painful sores in the mouth, usually inside the lips, on the cheeks, or on the tongue
- Sores that are covered with a yellow layer and have a red base
- Trouble eating or talking because of the sores
- No fever (in most cases)
Canker sores usually heal in 7 to 14 days. They tend to come back.
How are canker sores diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider can usually make a diagnosis with a complete health history and a physical exam. But he or she may also order these tests to rule out other causes:
- Blood tests
- Cultures of the sores
- Biopsy of the sore. This means taking a small piece of tissue from the sore and checking it under a microscope.
How are canker sores treated in a child?
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
The goal of treatment is to help ease symptoms. Treatment may include:
- Drinking more fluids
- Taking acetaminophen for any fever or pain
- Getting proper oral hygiene
- Using medicines on the skin to help ease the pain of the sores
- Using mouth rinses to help with the pain
Your child may feel better if he or she does not eat spicy, salty, or acidic foods. These foods may make the mouth more irritated.
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call your child’s healthcare provider if the sores:
- Are very painful
- Last more than a few weeks
- Are very large in size
- Keep coming back
Key points about canker sores in children
- Canker sores are small sores that appear in the mouth.
- They are often found inside the lips, on the cheeks, or on the tongue.
- The exact cause of canker sores is unknown. But they may be linked to things such as food allergies, stress, poor nutrition, or certain medicines.
- The sores are different from other sores and are usually diagnosed simply with a physical exam.
- Treatment may include oral medicine or medicine for the skin to ease pain. Antibiotics won’t work.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
944Fun baby shower game ideas
760Baby shower wishing well ideas
3365Party favors for baby shower ideas homemade
1219Baby ideas for baby shower
2237Simba baby shower ideas
3455Baby shower breakfast ideas
994Baby girl shower gift ideas
2103Inexpensive baby shower decorating ideas
3907Baby shower decorations for girls ideas
3751Baby shower cup cake ideas
1409Baby shower cake ideas girls
2775Honey bee baby shower ideas
4265Winter wonderland themed baby shower ideas
2429Great baby shower gift ideas
4181Baby shower lion king ideas
4029Baby shower hamper ideas
2971Safari baby shower theme ideas
2541Cheap girl baby shower ideas