Candidiasis in Children
What is candidiasis in children?
Candidiasis is an infection caused by yeast called Candida. Candida normally causes no harm, and is found on the skin, vaginal area, and digestive system. But in some cases, it can overgrow. This can cause a rash, itching, and other symptoms.
What causes candidiasis in a child?
Yeast normally lives on and in the body and causes no harm. It’s found on the skin, in the digestive system (including the mouth and throat), and in the genital area. But it can cause an infection in certain conditions. This can happen when the skin is damaged, when it’s warm and humid, or when a child has a weak immune system. In some very sick children, it can infect deeper tissues or the bloodstream and cause serious illness. Medicine with antibiotics or corticosteroids can also cause the yeast to overgrow. This is because those medicines kill normal bacteria that usually prevent too much yeast to grow.
Which children are at risk for candidiasis?
A child is at risk for candidiasis because of:
- Hot, humid weather
- Too much time between diaper changes
- Poor hygiene
- Taking medicines such as antibiotics or corticosteroids
- Health conditions that weaken the immune system, such as diabetes, cancer, or HIV
What are the symptoms of candidiasis in a child?
Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each child. And they vary depending on where the infection occurs. The most common symptoms include:
Skin folds or navel
Corners of the mouth (perlèche)
Nail beds (peronychia)
The symptoms of candidiasis can be like other health conditions. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is candidiasis diagnosed in a child?
The healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and health history. He or she will give your child a physical exam. And the healthcare provider may scrape off a skin sample to check in a lab.
How is candidiasis treated in a child?
Most cases of candidiasis are mild and respond well to medicine. Treatment depends on where the infection is and how severe it is. For example:
- Candidiasis on the skin is treated with medicines to put on the skin, such as creams or gels.
- Yeast infections in the vagina or anus can be treated with medicated suppositories.
- Thrush may be treated with a medicated mouthwash or lozenges.
- Severe infection or infection in a child with a weak immune system may be treated with oral anti-yeast medicines.
What are possible complications of candidiasis in a child?
In rare cases, it can cause serious and life-threatening illness. This can happen when a child has a weak immune system and the infection enters the bloodstream.
What can I do to prevent candidiasis in my child?
You can help prevent candidiasis by:
- Keeping your child’s skin as clean and dry as possible
- Changing diapers often
- Allowing your child to have diaper-free time
- Using antibiotics on your child only when needed
- Watching for candidiasis symptoms after the use of antibiotics
- Teaching your child about personal hygiene, such as how to brush their teeth and take a bath
- Talking about prevention with your child’s healthcare provider if your child has a weak immune system
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
Call the healthcare provider if your child has:
- Symptoms that affect a large area
- Symptoms that get worse
- Signs of a skin infection, such as increased redness, warmth, swelling, or fluid
- New symptoms
Key points about candidiasis in children
- Candidiasis is an infection caused by yeast.
- Risk factors for candidiasis include humid weather, too much time between diaper changes, and other factors.
- Candidiasis is easily treated with medicines such as creams, suppositories, or mouthwash.
- Prevention includes keeping the skin dry, changing diapers often, and using antibiotics only when needed.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2137Bumble bee themed baby shower ideas – 10 tips for good party!
4207Baby animal baby shower ideas
4187Baby shower invitation ideas pinterest
1112Winter themed baby shower ideas
1889Baby shower party decoration ideas
998Baby shower diy ideas
5683The best gifts for future parents: baby car seat covers, ergobaby infant insert, and ergo doll carrier
4323Baby shower cakes ideas pictures
3805Baby shower invitations idea
1529Baby shower menu ideas for boy
3727Baby shower invitation card ideas
2591Cheap baby shower game ideas
2459Baby shower ideas cheap
3415Diy ideas for baby shower
1757Brunch food ideas for baby shower
23702How Baby Slings Shaped Humanity
1901Baby shower theme ideas for a girl
3591Elegant baby showers ideas
2357Crafty baby shower ideas