Blood in the Urine
What is blood in the urine?
Blood in the urine means there are red blood cells (RBCs) in the urine. Often, the urine looks normal to the naked eye. But when checked under a microscope, it contains a high number of red blood cells. In some cases, the urine is pink, red, or the color of tea, which you can see without a microscope.
What causes blood in the urine?
Most of the causes of blood in the urine are not serious. For example, heavy exercise may cause blood in the urine. This often goes away in a day.
Other, more serious causes include:
- Kidney infection or disease
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Enlarged prostate (men only)
- Kidney or bladder stones
- Certain diseases (like sickle cell anemia and cystic kidney disease)
- Injury to the kidneys
Some medicines cause blood in the urine. And many people have it without having any other related problems.
What are the symptoms of blood in the urine?
There may not be enough blood in the urine to change the color. In severe cases, the urine may look pink, red, or tea-colored.
How is blood in the urine diagnosed?
Your healthcare provider will review your medical history and do a physical exam. Other tests may include:
- Urinalysis. Urine is tested for various cells and chemicals, such as red and white blood cells, germs, or too much protein.
- Blood tests. Blood is checked for high levels of waste products.
If these tests aren’t clear you may need other tests, such as:
- Ultrasound. An imaging test that uses high-frequency sound waves to make images of the organs of the urinary tract on a computer screen.
- Cystoscopy. A thin, flexible tube and viewing device, is put in through the urethra to examine the parts of the urinary tract for structure changes or blockages, such as tumors or stones.
- CT scan. A computer-generated X-ray that can image the inner organs, such as the kidneys, ureters and bladder.
How is blood in the urine treated?
If you have blood in your urine that lasts more than a day, see a healthcare provider. This is especially necessary if you have unexplained weight loss, discomfort with urination, frequent urination, or urgent urination.
Treatment will depend on the cause of the blood in the urine.
Key points about blood in urine
- Blood in the urine means there are red blood cells (RBCs) in the urine. Often, the urine looks normal. But when checked under a microscope, it contains a high number of red blood cells. In some cases, the urine is pink, red, or the color of tea. This can be seen without the use of a microscope.
- Most of the causes of blood in the urine are not serious. For example, in some cases, strenuous exercise will cause blood in the urine.
- Some more serious causes of blood in the urine are cancer, infection, enlarged prostate (men only), kidney or bladder stones, and certain diseases (like sickle cell anemia and cystic kidney disease).
- Blood in the urine can often be diagnosed with urine tests. If these are not clear, imaging tests may be needed to look at the urinary tract.
- Treatment depends on the cause of the blood in the urine.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed, and how it will help you. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if you do not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
2257Cupcake ideas for baby shower girl
2067Cowboy baby shower decoration ideas
21221Week 8 – Two Months In, Carrying On!
23717Fructose, Hunger, and Inactivity – Leptin and Insulin
3593Candyland themed baby shower ideas
1321Baby shower for a boy ideas
1000Christian baby shower ideas
1775Baby shower ideas decoration
984Unique baby shower invitation ideas
2147Baby girl shower cupcake ideas
4307Idea baby shower
2691New ideas for baby shower
178Baby shower location ideas
158Baby shower banner ideas
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
224Baby shower theme ideas for girls
3631Ideas for a small baby shower
248Baby shower gifts ideas