Blood in the Eye (Hyphema) in Children
What is hyphema or blood in the eye in children?
Hyphema is blood in the front (anterior) chamber of the eye. This is located between the clear front part of the eye (cornea) and the colored part of the eye (iris). This section is where fluid flows in and out. The fluid gives nourishment to the eye and tissues around it.
What causes blood in the eye in a child?
Blood in the eye is often caused by a trauma to the eye. It can also happen without a known cause in children who don’t have other health issues.
Which children are at risk for blood in the eye?
Males are 3 to 5 times more likely than females to get blood in the eye because they suffer eye injuries more often than females.
What are the symptoms of blood in the eye in a child?
Symptoms include blood visible in the eye. This often happens after some type of trauma to the eye.
The symptoms of blood in the eye include blurry vision. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is blood in the eye diagnosed in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask about your child’s health history. He or she will also give your child an eye exam. Blood is seen in the eyeball.
How is blood in the eye treated in a child?
Blood in the eye is an emergency. If you see blood in your child’s eye, get medical help right away.
Treatment will depend on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is.
Most children with blood in the eye will be treated in an emergency room. An eye healthcare provider (ophthalmologist) may care for your child. Treatment may include:
- Eye drops
- A patch over the affected eye
- Bed rest
- No reading. This is to rest the eye.
- Raising the head of your child’s bed by about 40 degrees. This can help your child’s body reabsorb the blood in the eye.
- Checking the pressure inside your child’s eye each day
What are the complications from blood in the eye in a child?
The following issues may be caused by blood in the eye:
- The injury may bleed again
- Glaucoma. This is an increase in the pressure inside of the eye. Children with glaucoma should be closely watched by their healthcare providers. This condition can cause vision loss or blindness if left untreated.
- Permanent loss of vision
- Damage to different structures in the eye
Key points about blood in the eye in children
- Hyphema is blood in the front chamber of the eye.
- Blood in the eye is often caused by a trauma to the eye. It can also happen without a known cause.
- Blood in the eye is an emergency. Your child will likely be treated in the emergency room.
- If left untreated, blood in the eye can cause permanent vision loss.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
956Baby shower boy themes ideas
4033Unique baby shower gift ideas for a boy
550Baby shower theme ideas for girl
1108Baby shower gift basket ideas for boy
2857Ideas for baby shower cupcakes
3255Baby shower decorations centerpiece ideas
3917Appetizer ideas for a baby shower
23731How to Get Enough Calcium When You’re Dairy-Free, Pregnant, and Paleo
3525Baby shower themes and ideas
2073Ideas for twins baby shower
1917Cute baby shower wrapping ideas
1769Baby shower ideas for baby girl
23749Teach Kids to Read “High Fructose Corn Syrup” in Ingredient Lists
1429Jack and jill baby shower ideas
1389Lamb baby shower ideas
1180Baby boy shower themes ideas
3557Star themed baby shower ideas
2295Nautical baby boy shower ideas