Allergic Rhinitis in Children
What is allergic rhinitis in a child?
Rhinitis is a reaction that happens in the eyes, nose, and throat when allergens in the air trigger the release of histamine in the body. Histamine causes itching, swelling, and fluid to build up in the fragile linings of nasal passages, sinuses, and eyelids.
Allergic rhinitis can happen on a seasonal basis or year-round. Year-round allergic rhinitis happens more often in younger children. There is usually a family history of allergic rhinitis.
What causes allergic rhinitis in a child?
The most common causes of allergic rhinitis in children are:
- Pollen from trees, grass, or weeds
- Dust mites
- Cockroach waste
- Animal dander
- Tobacco smoke
Which children are at risk for allergic rhinitis?
Children with asthma are at a higher risk for rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis is a common problem that may be linked to asthma. However, this link is not fully understood. Experts think that since rhinitis makes it hard to breathe through the nose, it is harder for the nose to work normally. Breathing through the mouth does not warm, filter, or humidify the air before it enters the lungs. This can make asthma symptoms worse.
Controlling asthma may help control allergic rhinitis in some children.
What are the symptoms of allergic rhinitis in a child?
The following are the most common symptoms of allergic rhinitis. However, each child may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:
- Stuffy nose
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose, throat, eyes, and ears
- Clear drainage from the nose
Children with year-round allergic rhinitis may also have these symptoms:
- Ear infections that keep coming back
- Breathing through the mouth
- Poor performance in school
- A line or crease across the bridge of the nose from swiping the nose
The symptoms of allergic rhinitis may look like other conditions or medical problems. Always talk with your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is allergic rhinitis diagnosed in a child?
Typically, the diagnosis is made by your child’s healthcare provider based on a thorough medical history and physical exam. During the exam, your child’s healthcare provider may also find dark circles under the eyes, creases under the eyes, and swollen tissue inside the nose. If this is the case, then your child’s healthcare provider may refer your child to see an allergist. An allergist is a healthcare provider who is trained to do allergy skin testing. This will tell you exactly what things are causing your child to have symptoms.
How is allergic rhinitis treated in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will figure out the best treatment for your child based on:
- How old your child is
- His or her overall health and past health
- How sick he or she is
- How well your child can handle specific medicines, procedures, or therapies
- How long the condition is expected to last
- Your opinion or preference
The symptoms of allergic rhinitis sometimes look like other conditions or medical problems. Always see your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
Treatment choices for rhinitis may include:
- Nose sprays
- Medicines for asthma symptoms
- Allergy shots
Can allergic rhinitis be prevented in a child?
Preventive measures for avoiding allergic rhinitis include:
- Controls in your environment, such as air conditioning during pollen season
- Avoiding areas where there is heavy dust, mites, molds
- Avoiding pets
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
If your child’s symptoms get worse or if he or she has new symptoms, call your child’s healthcare provider.
Key points about allergic rhinitis in a child
- Rhinitis is a reaction that happens in the eyes, nose, and throat when allergens in the air trigger the release of histamine in the body.
- Common causes of allergic rhinitis include pollen, dust mites, mold, cockroach waste, animal dander, and tobacco smoke.
- Treatment choices include avoiding the allergen and medicines to treat your child’s symptoms.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
3165Baby shower charades ideas
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
4313Baby shower party favor ideas for a girl
866Menu ideas for baby shower
2787Ideas for baby shower gift baskets
4043Upscale baby shower ideas
1277Luau baby shower ideas
1987Unique boy baby shower ideas
23742History and Benefits of Fermented Foods
3925Twin baby shower ideas pinterest
3049Handmade baby shower ideas
2111Food for baby shower ideas
1140Twin boy and girl baby shower ideas
4273Western baby shower ideas for boys
1279Baby showers ideas for a boy
2205Girl baby shower finger food ideas
2067Cowboy baby shower decoration ideas
3643Baby shower cupcakes ideas for a boy
1487Baby shower games ideas pinterest
2681Creative baby shower invitation ideas