Allergic Rhinitis in Children
What is allergic rhinitis in a child?
Rhinitis is a reaction that happens in the eyes, nose, and throat when allergens in the air trigger the release of histamine in the body. Histamine causes itching, swelling, and fluid to build up in the fragile linings of nasal passages, sinuses, and eyelids.
Allergic rhinitis can happen on a seasonal basis or year-round. Year-round allergic rhinitis happens more often in younger children. There is usually a family history of allergic rhinitis.
What causes allergic rhinitis in a child?
The most common causes of allergic rhinitis in children are:
- Pollen from trees, grass, or weeds
- Dust mites
- Cockroach waste
- Animal dander
- Tobacco smoke
Which children are at risk for allergic rhinitis?
Children with asthma are at a higher risk for rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis is a common problem that may be linked to asthma. However, this link is not fully understood. Experts think that since rhinitis makes it hard to breathe through the nose, it is harder for the nose to work normally. Breathing through the mouth does not warm, filter, or humidify the air before it enters the lungs. This can make asthma symptoms worse.
Controlling asthma may help control allergic rhinitis in some children.
What are the symptoms of allergic rhinitis in a child?
The following are the most common symptoms of allergic rhinitis. However, each child may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:
- Stuffy nose
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose, throat, eyes, and ears
- Clear drainage from the nose
Children with year-round allergic rhinitis may also have these symptoms:
- Ear infections that keep coming back
- Breathing through the mouth
- Poor performance in school
- A line or crease across the bridge of the nose from swiping the nose
The symptoms of allergic rhinitis may look like other conditions or medical problems. Always talk with your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
How is allergic rhinitis diagnosed in a child?
Typically, the diagnosis is made by your child’s healthcare provider based on a thorough medical history and physical exam. During the exam, your child’s healthcare provider may also find dark circles under the eyes, creases under the eyes, and swollen tissue inside the nose. If this is the case, then your child’s healthcare provider may refer your child to see an allergist. An allergist is a healthcare provider who is trained to do allergy skin testing. This will tell you exactly what things are causing your child to have symptoms.
How is allergic rhinitis treated in a child?
Your child’s healthcare provider will figure out the best treatment for your child based on:
- How old your child is
- His or her overall health and past health
- How sick he or she is
- How well your child can handle specific medicines, procedures, or therapies
- How long the condition is expected to last
- Your opinion or preference
The symptoms of allergic rhinitis sometimes look like other conditions or medical problems. Always see your child’s healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
Treatment choices for rhinitis may include:
- Nose sprays
- Medicines for asthma symptoms
- Allergy shots
Can allergic rhinitis be prevented in a child?
Preventive measures for avoiding allergic rhinitis include:
- Controls in your environment, such as air conditioning during pollen season
- Avoiding areas where there is heavy dust, mites, molds
- Avoiding pets
When should I call my child’s healthcare provider?
If your child’s symptoms get worse or if he or she has new symptoms, call your child’s healthcare provider.
Key points about allergic rhinitis in a child
- Rhinitis is a reaction that happens in the eyes, nose, and throat when allergens in the air trigger the release of histamine in the body.
- Common causes of allergic rhinitis include pollen, dust mites, mold, cockroach waste, animal dander, and tobacco smoke.
- Treatment choices include avoiding the allergen and medicines to treat your child’s symptoms.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for the visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you for your child.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed and how it will help your child. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your child’s condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if your child does not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If your child has a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your child’s provider after office hours. This is important if your child becomes ill and you have questions or need advice.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
23705Intermittent Fasting – Is It Safe For Children?
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
23735IBS, Depression, and Skin Problems in Fructose Malabsorption
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
23715Understanding Poop – Constipation, IBS, and Other Digestive Disorders
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
3901Baby owl baby shower ideas
1681Blue and brown baby shower ideas
528Work baby shower ideas
312Baby boy shower food ideas
1483Girl baby shower invitation ideas
178Baby shower location ideas
340Baby shower diaper ideas
3807Cool ideas for a baby shower
4143Pinterest ideas for baby showers
3835Ideas for baby shower thank you gifts
776Baby shower treat ideas
1969Baby shower gift ideas girl
1204Baby shower banner wording ideas
4211Baby shower invitations for boys ideas
4045Girl owl baby shower ideas
23787Primal Moms: Number One Bestseller in Pregnancy/Exercise and Fitness
2095Baby shower girl gift ideas
4101Clever baby shower ideas