Why Humans Are Born So Helpless
- Human adults have large brains capable of complex thought.
- Adult human brains are larger than the adult brains of most other animals.
- This means that more total brain growth will take place in humans than in other animals.
- So, by the time a human brain is able to control walking, for example, its brain will be larger than a calf’s at the same stage of development.
- The human brain is about on par with a newborn calf’s brain when the human is one year old.
- Since a one year old human’s brain (and face and skull) is too large to fit through a mother’s pelvis a human must be born at an earlier stage of development than babies of other species.
- Unable to walk, stand, or grab because their brains are so under-developed, human babies are helpless.
- Once humans reach 1 or 2 years old, they finally start to catch up with other animals.
- At this time other animals brains stop developing, while human brains keep growing.
Why Babies Are Born Helpless, Simplified:
- Humans are smarter than most other animals.
- This is because our brains are bigger.
- But when you look at human babies they don’t seem smarter at all.
- Why is this?
- Well, to understand, let’s pretend for a minute that brains are like gardens.
- A human’s garden has rows of carrots, radishes, lettuce, kale, and zucchini. A cow’s garden only has rows of carrots and radishes. They both have the same amount of carrots and radishes but the human garden has more types of vegetables.
- Now, we need to fit both of these gardens into a small bag – that is, the skull.
- Since the cow’s garden doesn’t have as many veggies in it, we can go ahead and add a little fertilizer. The veggies will grow a little bigger but they’ll still fit in the bag since there aren’t too many of them.
- When we pick the two gardens and put them in their bags, the cow veggie bag will have just a few nice crunchy big carrots and crisp radishes. The human bag will have a whole lot of stringy roots and tiny little sprouts.
- If we were to let the human’s garden keep growing to make nice big veggies, we wouldn’t be able to fit them all in the bag.
- So the best way to keep the human’s garden small enough to fit in the bag is to not let it grow very much from the beginning.
- So now let’s think of these gardens as brains again. When a cow is born it is able to walk. When a human is born it can’t walk at all.
- This is because the part of the brain that controls walking is bigger in the cow’s brain (think crunchy carrots). But the same part of the human’s brain is just a little sprout.
- It might seem like the baby calf is smarter than the baby human but he’s not really.
- Someday, when the human’s brain (garden) has had a chance to grow more, it won’t just have carrots but it will also have kale and zucchini and all the other veggies. These extra veggies are like talking, going to school, and cooking.
- So, we don’t get to walk as soon as we’re born like cows do but they won’t ever get to do homework and talk about gardens.
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
3607Baby shower ideas for twins pinterest
21041Week 1 – I’m Preparing to Become a Mother
866Menu ideas for baby shower
1094Baby shower activities ideas
23810Emotional Development Milestones for baby (0-1 years)
2573Food for a baby shower ideas
3559All pink baby shower ideas
1491Sweet table ideas for baby shower
22643Week 33 of Pregnancy – The Ticking Clock
3633Baby shower game ideas free printable
1409Baby shower cake ideas girls
1153Baby shower centerpieces idea
412Baby shower for girl ideas
3445Simple baby shower cake ideas
272Elegant baby shower ideas
1473Baby shower cake pops ideas
422Boy baby shower cake ideas
20Baby shower games ideas