Paleo Banana Pancakes

Nothing but eggs, banana, and butter

These are ridiculously simple “pancakes” made of egg and banana, cooked in butter, and drizzled with a tiny bit of pure maple syrup . The syrup is optional. I think the pancakes are sweet enough as is.

Recipe for banana pancakes:
4 eggs
2 ripe bananas
lots of butter
a little pure maple syrup

Mash the bananas with a fork and lightly whisk the eggs in with them. Pour on a hot pan with plenty of butter. Cook for a couple of minutes, checking for brownness and flip.

| Primal parents | 1045 | 0 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 5 0 votes
Rate this post:
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

33 comments

1. Hilary June 29, 2012

Do you have a recipe for the pancakes? They look so fluffy!

2. Angel June 29, 2012

Do you whip the ice cream ingredients together first, or just stir well and then pour into the ice cream tray?

1. Peggy the Primal Parent June 29, 2012

I use a little non-electric whisk.

3. Shan June 29, 2012

Would you please share the specifics of how you made the banana pancakes? They sound AMAZING!!

1. Peggy the Primal Parent June 29, 2012

I added the recipe up in the post. You’ll see it’s pretty simple!

4. Emily June 29, 2012

Totally trying the banana pancakes tomorrow morning! My folks are visiting and were just turned onto Paleo after seeing the results from my husband and me. Can’t wait to try this with them!

5. Greg June 29, 2012

Where do you get your grass fed cow dairy? I’ve searched around with no luck so far.

1. Peggy the Primal Parent June 29, 2012

Where do you live? You can find raw and grass fed dairy by visiting the website http://www.realmilk.com/where.html

1. Caroline June 29, 2012

Oo yay! I live in Denver – where do you shop locally for meat and dairy? I’ve bought online before (like US Wellness) but I’d love to have a few local places to look first. :-)

1. Peggy the Primal Parent June 29, 2012

You can find some local pastured meats at the Vitamin Cottage. Also they carry totally grass fed, non-homogenized milk and cream, but it is pasteurized, lightly. The website I posted has lots of options for raw dairy but they’re not all grassfed. Windsor Dairy is one that is. Eatwild.com will help you find farms to get your meats from. There are a few out on the eastern plains here in Colorado. Have fun with that this summer!

6. Ingrid June 29, 2012

Yum. Is the cow milk raw? Just curious. It sounds delicious.

7. Julia June 29, 2012

Peggy,
    Thanks so much for the banana pancake recipe! I used to make these with the almond butter (the only difference is almond butter, plus I would fry in coconut oil, not butter) but the almond butter does not seem to sit well with me any more these days. Totally am going to try yours tomorrow instead, yumm!!

Will try the ice cream one too, so simple! We don’t do well with cow’s milk here, no matter how groovey, so we use raw goat milk instead, I bet it would work well (grass fed cow cream is fine though, just the milk/ cow lactose is not well tolerated).

1. Peggy the Primal Parent July 2, 2012

I don’t do well with lactose either – cow, goat, raw, whatever.

I always like to try it again every so often but my body always finds some creative way to say no…

8. Magda June 30, 2012

I did my ice cream using only 3 ingredients: double cream(from grass-fed cows), strawberries and raw honey. My daughter really liked it. Next time I will add some raw egg yolk. Regards.

9. Cathy July 1, 2012

Easy pancakes that my kids and the two sleepover kiddos loved! I did a double batch, but they were so filling that there were leftovers to snack on for lunch. Thanks for the excellent tip!

10. Alexandra July 2, 2012

Peggy, I’ve been making these pancakes since I saw them – I think it was on your FB page? They are really awesome! I have always gone through occasional periods where I just don’t feel like anything savoury for breakfast, nor do I feel like fasting. Before, this would draw me to buckwheat or millet porridge (not the worst thing for me digestively, but not great, and too little protein). Now I just whip these lovelies up, and they keep me full for a good while because of the eggs.

Your strawberry ice cream sounds pretty much identical to mine, except I use whole eggs. I think traditionally only the yolks are used because in a cooked custard the whites give off a stronger eggy flavour, but I’ve found that if you just use them raw it makes no difference texturally or flavour-wise.

I also use more strawberries and macerate them in vodka and rose water beforehand :D

11. Rachael July 2, 2012

Is the totally grass-fed milk you mention at Vitamin Cottage the Kalona brand? If so it is not totally grass-fed. I called the farm and asked. They do feed some grain. If you can’t find raw, grass-fed milk, it is one of your best options, though. Great that it is not homogenized.

12. Elle July 5, 2012

Great blog! Just found it. I’m looking forward to your primal pregnancy book hitting the shelves :)

13. Kate July 8, 2012

Whoa– the banana pancakes taste like crepes! I ran out of butter midway through and the second half of the batch turned out delicious cooked with lard. As soon as I tasted them, I decided they didn’t need anything else– no honey, nuthin.

1. Peggy the Primal Parent July 10, 2012

Yeah, they really don’t need anything extra. I drizzle a little maple syrup on there just because it looks more like a pancake experience for my daughter. :P

1. tom August 27, 2012

The pancakes sound good! I can’t handle eating egg whites any more. This might sound like a stupid question, but I am no chef by any means: would just the yolks suffice instead of the entire eggs for the pancakes recipe?

14. Miss Kris July 20, 2012

I made these pancakes this morning and was sure my kids weren’t going to eat them because they were more of a banana omelet than pancake. Both of them refuse to eat eggs but they gobbled these up and asked for more! Definite winner here and so simple. Thank you!

15. Alisa August 14, 2012

Hi Peggy,
    Thanks for all the great information! I haven’t read all of your posts yet but I have a question: I read the PCOS page first, and read up on the fructose malabsorption too and then read a few other pages and saw that (I’m assuming) you are now able to kind-of tolerate vegetables (the chicken soup) and cucumber and bananas? Has your body healed enough from having absolutely no fruits or veggies, that you are able to incorporate them now? I was getting ready to swear off all fruits and veggies but now I am a little confused if I should or not…
    Thank you again for all the hopeful information though!

1. Peggy the Primal Parent August 15, 2012

Alisa,

You are welcome! Indeed my diet has broadened up a bit over the last year or so. I don’t eat bananas or cucumbers, though, as I am allergic to them. (Well, I did for Primal Toad’s smoothie but I don’t make a habit of it. The banana pancakes or plantain I never eat.) Now that I’m not pregnant anymore and my immune system may be stronger, I might have another allergy test and hopefully see fewer reactions. Or I’ll do some experimentation with these foods I was so allergic to before. I have been very good, though, to avoid them for the last year and a half. I believe that and some other things I’ve done have made a difference.

What I have found is that fiber does not freak out my system like it used to. I do still have to be careful with what I eat but yes, I can and do eat vegetables now.

16. kimmy25 May 30, 2013

I thought fruits are only supposed to be eaten by themselves? Mixing with animal product is even worse, no? I am new to this primal thing, I am still trying to wrap my head around eating all this meat. It kind of makes me sick :/ However, I need to get off the wheat and dairy very, very bad and peoples primal success stories have me intrigued. I have done lo-carb in the past and had trouble going to the bathroom if you know what I mean. I love wild salmon but that’s tough to afford more than once a week.