Break Time for Nursing Mothers in the Workplace
I happen know a lot about workplace laws which is kind of ironic because I myself don’t work in a workplace but anyway, ya’ll might like to know for yourself, for your friends, or for your wives that working, breastfeeding mothers have more rights these days than they had in the past.
Hopefully these laws will help keep working women out of the cold and lonely bathroom, expressing their breast milk standing up at the counter, inhaling any number of unpleasant smells. I mean, maybe some women can ignore it, but I think it’s rather demeaning and awfully suggestive of the little value we place on motherhood.
Law Regarding Milk Expression
One of the provisions of President Obama’s Health Care Reform amends the Fair Labor Standards Act to legally entitle nursing mothers to break time at work for the expression of breast milk.
The amended act does not state how many breaks are to be given but specifies any “reasonable break time.” The breaks need not be paid by the employer but, by law, must be available and provided in a clean, private room without a toilet.
Here is the full law as outlined by the Department of Labor.
Breastfeeding women can be very sensitive to their surroundings. In fact, it’s kind of biological. Breastfeeding is a warm and loving activity. A bathroom (unless it’s a damn nice one) is not an ideal place to get the oxytocin flowing. And on top of that, the use of a pump is already unemotional, cold, and sterile. A warm cozy chair and a 20 minute break might be enough to help a mother provide breast milk for her baby longer term.
Why Working, Breastfeeding Moms Must Pump
Breastfeeding working mothers have a huge challenge to keep their milk flowing. Without the little one around to nurse on demand the milk can dry up pretty fast. A lot of business owners and bosses (who are mostly male) don’t understand the logistics here so allow me to illuminate. Pass this on to bosses everywhere!
- A mother’s milk builds up while she’s away from her baby. In the absence the buildup of milk can become very uncomfortable and even painful. It needs to be expelled.
- If milk is not expressed at somewhat regular intervals throughout each and every day, a woman will lose her ability to breastfeed her baby. Breast pumps can substitute and “trick” the body into believing that the baby is still nursing all day.
- Breastfeeding, in conjunction with a healthy diet, helps babies become exceptionally strong and healthy. A breastfed baby’s immune system is more robust than a formula fed baby so they generally require fewer doctor visits, meaning fewer sick days for mom!
- Breastfeeding has been proven to increase IQ, meaning a better workforce for the future!
- Babies who are breastfed are typically happier and, consequently, so are their mothers. This might make for a more peaceful office.
- Breastfeeding mothers often don’t get enough sleep. A midday break may be just the energizer that she needs to do her best at work.
I would love to hear other women’s experience with this. I didn’t work for the first two years of my baby’s life so it wasn’t an issue for me, but I did pump on occasion and I can’t say that I found it incredibly enjoyable. I would think it would be difficult to maintain the milk beyond say a few weeks to a few months expressing milk in a bathroom. What do you think?
1351Baby shower guest sign in ideas
2533Boy baby shower decorations ideas
1607Girl baby shower favors ideas
1791TOP 10 Girl baby shower themes ideas for 2017
600Baby shower fruit tray ideas
1909Purchase The Special Twin Baby Shower Cakes From Your Local Stores
3923Baby shower snack ideas pinterest
4319Baby shower afternoon tea ideas
4291High tea baby shower ideas – 10 ways to have a High tea baby shower party!
2553TOP 10 Baby girl baby shower food ideas
218710 Useful Triplet baby shower ideas for you!
2463Baby shower ideas pinterest boy
554Welcoming a Baby Angel in Style with the Best Baby shower souvenir ideas
2041Planning a Baby shower program ideas – detailed guide
4315Baby shower centerpieces ideas pictures – 10 methods to brighten your baby shower party
23689It is Safe to Eat Raw Meat – A Guide to Choosing the Right Type
3165Baby shower charades ideas
4327Baby shower onesie ideas – 10 secrets to know
2085Baby shower center pieces ideas
1479Prince baby shower theme ideas
414Rustic baby shower ideas
1074Different baby shower ideas
3297Baby shower ideas with balloons
1863Ideas for baby shower girl
74Fall baby shower ideas
318Bumble bee baby shower ideas
930Cute baby shower decoration ideas
102Baby shower decoration ideas for girl
1054Little man mustache baby shower ideas
1449King of the jungle baby shower ideas
3063Baby shower favors ideas for a girl
140Baby shower food ideas for a boy
4065Ideas on baby showers
2111Food for baby shower ideas
1383Unique baby shower ideas for a boy
2865Baby shower prize ideas for games